Chapter Zero - Experimental

SYRONO

Accelerating down the city streets, drops of rain bead off her sleek helmet visor.

The rear wheel of a motorcycle spews a variable mist of water as Syr weaves around the sporadic late night traffic, neon light bouncing off the scattered puddles in the various low-lying areas of the road.

The voices of a tense call play out from within her helmet.

Ayron - "It's okay, Syr!"

Ayron - "I've been working with professor Anto for years now and he knows what's up. This project has world-altering potential!"

Syr - "Even so.. Why does it have to be you?! This thing hasn't even been tested!"

An enthusiastic, deep voiced professor comes over the call sounding distant.

Anto - "Relaaxx, Syr. Your brother here is the brightest person I've ever worked with."

Ayron - "Don't worry, sis. This may be the first human test, but countless animal trials have gone off without a hitch."

Syr - "Regardless of how safe it is, I don't care!!"

Syr - "You can't just give up your life like this!"

With apparent disregard, the professor proceeds, questioning a nearby lab technician.

Anto - "Dex, is the stage ready yet?"

Dex - "Yes, Sir."

Anto - "Great! Then let's prepare for the coupling process."

Syr ~ Running out of time, I gotta hurry..

Ayron - "I must say, I really didn't expect you to react like this when I left that message for you.."

Syr - "How can you be so delusional to think I wouldn't care that you're just not going to exist anymore?!"

Ayron - "But as I told you, I will still exist. My consciousness will be wholly in-tact, in a perfect, controlled environment where no harm can come to me. And, I'll be around forever, so you'll never have to worry about actually losing me. Like with.. you know.."

Syr - "I can't fucking -believe- you're using the death of our parents trying to justify giving up your actual life!"

Ayron - "You know I didn't mean it like that.. But seriously.. you'll still be able to see me and talk to me whenever you want! I know you've refused to try it despite my work, but virtual reality is so advanced now that we can meet up and interact just as if it were real life!"

Syr - "You're brainwashed by this pathetic guy and his obsession with immortality nonsense in your dumb fantasy world!"

Ayron - "Syr I-"

Syr - "Well I don't give a damn about your fake reality! I want to keep the real you! It's not fair! I'm part of this family too, you can't just decide by yourself to do this without me!"

Ayron - "Syr.. This is bigger than just you.. Or us.."

A stray car honks automatically as she skids around it, cutting it off to save time, and maybe breaking some laws while she's at it.