Chapter Ten - Cloak and Dagger

Syr - "Soo uhh.. What now..?"

Nyr - "Ehh, I guess we should test out this new stuff, huh?"

Syr - "Seems logical.."

Nyr - "Heh.. let's see what's good at the guild hub!"

She starts off, taking the first step towards their destination's direction before stopping.

Syr - "I'll follow you.."

Nyr - "Well okay, but.. don't trail behind. Actually-"

An arm reaches back to wriggle around Syr's, locking at the elbows.

Syr - "Wha- Oh c'mon, is this really necessary?"

Nyr - "Strictly.."

Nyr - "Just think of it as a nice compromise to me pulling you around everywhere.."

Syr rolls her eyes, resolving that this is indeed preferable to being yanked from A to B.

Walking into the guild building is a familiar sight, nothing out of the ordinary.

Now though, a few more hunters are there besides them.

Lissly is talking to a couple of curious figures wearing matching armor, faces covered with some kind of beast themed masks.

They look important but it's unclear where they're from.

She looks a bit off talking to them, and as soon as she sees the eager beavers come in, she excuses herself.

Lissly - "Wellll if it isn't exactly the two individuals I wanted to see right now..!"

The two unknowns make their way out of the building, apparently having concluded their business here.

Nyr - "Uhh, nice to see you too, Lissly.. Who were those guys..?"

Lissly - "Ohh it's not important. Don't worry about that. Come with me, I have a.. specific.. request for the two of you."

Nyr - "Ooo-kay.."

The door to her make-shift office closes behind them.

Lissly - "Sorry for the formalities, but nobody else must hear of this for the time being."

A couple glances are swapped as an air of secrecy diffuses into the room.

Lissly - "Nyrelye, how would you qualify the aptitude of your new partner here?"

It's a strange question, especially asked in the presence of the one being judged.

Syr is, of course, uncomfortable with the spotlight placed on her.

Nyr - "Wha- U-Uhm.. I mean.. she's a bit rusty I guess.. But definitely way more competent than your average noob.. It's kinda.. disturbing.. actually.."

Syr - "H-Hey.."

Lissly - "As I suspected. Perhaps there's something to that suspicious S rank after all.. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. It's by the by."

Lissly - "Truthfully I just needed to make sure you could handle this job. See, there's been some top secret whispers from the guild of some rather peculiar monsters showing up. A small few parties have, independently, stumbled into these beasts the past couple of days. Currently they've been hushed by the guild until we understand what's going on. I think they figure they can get a headstart on it if it's some kind of event, lest a rival faction get to it first, you see.."