Chapter Thirteen - Sonic Boom

The area they had ended up in was a large, open, slightly hilly space, surrounded by trees on all sides.

An eerie silence encapsulates them as they await the fabled beast.

Eyes intent in the direction of its last known position, a new noise echoes out behind them.

Nyr - "Huh..?!"

The three of them naturally fold in, backs to each other and watching every direction.

Nyr - "Guys..?"

Lissly - "Shh!"

They focus on their surroundings trying to pinpoint their target-

Everyone - "AGHhhh!!"

Their hands shoot up to their ears trying desperately to block out some kind of painful noise.

The act proves nearly futile as they remain completely incapacitated for its duration, until it abruptly dies off.

Nyr - "Gah..! Did that sound like anything you've ever heard before..?!"

Syr - "I-I don't think it sounded like.. anything..!"

Lissly - "It was like-"

Before they could finish their thoughts, the area around them lights up in dazzling explosions all set off within a fraction of a second.

They scream out as the forces push them into each other, all bunched up with a vaguely circular trench of craters around them just out of reach where they had been standing.

It would seem that the beast is toying with the prey.

Before being able to fully recover, a faint airy sound is picked up overhead.

Lissly looks up to spot a dark shadowy figure diving straight for them.

Lissly - "Move!"

Using her ability she darts away leaving the other two for themselves.

The divebomb being enough to register as an attack, their wind-shields burst off, propelling them across the craters.

Everyone recovering from the attack, they hear the sound of the beast crashing to the ground where they had been standing.

They look just in time to see the figure dart through the dusty plume at remarkable speed and disappear into the forest again.

Nyr - "Did you catch that..?!"

Syr - "It was kind of cheetah like..!"

Lissly - "It was clearly dragonesque!"

Nyr - "I-I saw a pair of wings..!"

Without notice, the mystery dragon soars directly overhead in a fast gliding leap.

They watch in awe of the majestic creature, stunned momentarily by its beauty.

A small ticking sound breaks them out of it.

Syr - "What the.."

Her gaze is drawn to a scary looking device on the ground.

A reactionary movement distances her from it just before it explodes into another bright display.

Syr - "Gehh!!"

Nyr - "Syrr!!"

Seeing it more directly this time, it becomes clear there's more going on.

Nyr rushes over to help her up.

Nyr - "You okay..?!"

Syr - "Yeah.. Ugh.. This thing has mines..?!"