5. Stay

🌟 P E M 🌟

It's been a hell of a few days, but it's finally over. I've successfully been weaned off of the drugs and alcohol and the clinician advised that I'll experience symptoms off and on for a while. Fun...

Vance and Ezra were here to bring me back to The Centre. I'm beyond thankful Jace didn't come with them. I'm not ready to deal with him yet.

As I sit here on the edge of the bed hurriedly completing the discharge paperwork, I catch snippets of the conversation Vance is having with doctor weirdo. I'm to come back here for AA meetings every Tuesday and Thursday's. Vance wanted to make sure it was these specific days so I could ride into town with Bryce, Zane, Fox and Aiden. I guess they have weekly doctor appointments as well.

I'm relieved that I won't be making anyone go out of their way for me, I hate being a burden and I already feel like a failure.

I tossed the clipboard to the side and stood up, all eyes turned to me.

"Ready?" Ezra asked.

I nodded my head as I grabbed my suitcase and walked to the door. I never want to see this room ever again.

⚫️ E Z R A ⚫️

The tension is thick in the car. Pem is in the backseat staring out the window and sulking. Vance is driving, I have to give him credit, he looks in control as always, relaxed against the back of the seat, one hand on the steering wheel as the other one is resting on the console between us. My hand itches to reach out to grab his and comfort him.

He may put up a good front, but I know that deep down he's nervous. After Jace told us what happened during his childhood with Pem and his brother, and the realization that Pem is abusing pills and alcohol, Vance has been even more introverted and stoic.

"Ez," Vance nudged my elbow with his.

My eyes broke contact with his hand and met his handsome face. My heart clenched, he was home, everything that I always needed and didn't even know. So strong and compassionate. He was the glue that held us all together.

"Okay?" concern emitted from his beautiful light gray eyes.

I nodded my head, "Yeah," I bit my bottom lip in frustration that I couldn't do anything to help the situation. To relieve him of everything that's piled so high on his plate.

He smiled slightly and then turned his attention back to the road.

"Pem, the doctor gave me your pills, I'll keep them with everyone else's in the house who have a prescription. Just come to my study at 9 am and 5 pm for yours, okay?" Vance's deep voice advised.

How does he do it? Manage The Centre, look after everyone, anticipate everyone's needs, while doing so with such a calm demeanor?

"Sure," Pem mumbled in response.

"Is there anything in town that you need before we head back to the center?"

Pem cleared his throat, "Uh...yes actually, can we stop somewhere quick so I can grab some more clothes? I don't think I packed enough..." he trailed off.

No, he definitely didn't pack enough clothes, there was enough alcohol in his suitcase to supply a frat house for a few months though.

"Of course, there's a store nearby, I could pick up a few things for myself as well," Vance said.

"Great, thanks!"

I unintentionally winced, the fake enthusiasm rolling off Pem's tongue gutted me. This poor kid, always acting. We need to make sure and show him that it's not needed, he can be his true self with us. No judgement, we've all been in his shoes.