Chapter XXIX - Announcement to Gotham

"Normal Speech."

'Normal Thought.'

"Demon Speech."

'Demon Thought.'

"Other Speech variants."

Location/Time.

-X- Line Break -X-

Monday 20th April, 22:05.

New Jersey,

Gotham City,

Wayne Manor.

"Greetings, I am the Grandmaster." He spoke, his voice charismatic as he theatrically waved his arms outwards. "I belong to an illustrious and ancient order known as the Court of Owls. Some of you may have heard stories of us, believing us to be nothing more than a myth, an old folks' tale." The Grandmaster chuckled as if he had told a funny joke. "I can assure you; we are very real."

He paused allowing the meaning of his words to sink in for the people of Gotham. Meanwhile, the four heroes spared a glance knowing exactly what this meant, the Court had abandoned anonymity and had stepped into the open.

"We have waited in the shadows long enough, watching as our beloved city was plunged into chaos. We waited, bided our time for just the right moment to save this city, and that moment is now." Raising his right arm, the Grandmaster presented a detonator to the people of Gotham. "A few weeks ago, the villains known as Scarecrow created a new toxin known as the Fearless Toxin. The riots that happened were a cause of such a toxin."

The Grandmaster pressed the button and Naruto jerked in his seat as if attempting to stop the man even though it was an impossibility.

Even then, they all saw the sight of a small box appearing in the corner of the screen showing video footage of green gas flooding a street and spreading out through a few more. The people caught on camera froze, coughing slightly before everything went still.

Then there was chaos.

People started attacking those around them, firing guns and stabbing anyone they chose without any fear at all.

It was pure anarchy.

"As you can see, it is highly effective and that is only one. I have another twenty-two caches of the Fearless Toxin placed all over the city. In one hour, we will detonate them all." That's when the feed cut off and Alfred turned off the TV, the group silent as they digested the information.

"Why give us an hour?" Naruto asked eventually, breaking the silence that had befallen them.

"He gave us no list of demands to follow so giving us a time limit makes no sense." Barbara and Dick nodded their heads in agreement.

"Because they don't plan to make demands, it's a trap." Bruce deduced quickly. "He gives us an hour to go looking for the Fearless Toxin."

"And we'll have no choice but to spread out, even with the help of the GCPD." Dick continued as he too realised what Bruce had figured out. "We'll be split up throughout the city allowing the Talon and his undead to pick us off one by one."

"Then what do we do?" Barbara asked, still unsure as to what to do. If they went out to find the Fearless Toxin, they would be doing exactly what the Court wanted, but if they didn't, then they would be leaving the entire city vulnerable.

'If heroes like Superman and Batman require help, then what hope do you have to make a difference in this world...If heroes like Superman and Batman require help...'

Injustice Book 1: A Journeys Beginning (Naruto + Batman Comics crossover)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें