Chapter 1

My stomach was doing somersaults as I stared into my open suitcase. Today was officially going to be my first day at Alfea, and I was terrified. Because this wasn't just like starting a new school, I was going to a frickin fairy college in another realm, and my mum thought I was on my way to a prestigious maths academy in Ireland. I didn't like lying to her, but in this case, the lie would sit a lot better with her than the truth. I even found that I was convincing myself that I was going to Ireland because the truth was still too much right now. It had only been about a month since I found out I was a fairy, and I still couldn't quite accept that this was my life now.

"Are you almost ready?!" My mum called from downstairs, snapping me out of my trance.

I shook my head, quickly being dragged back to reality. "Almost!" I called back, checking the contents of my case once more before closing it up. I slid the case off my bed and picked up my black rucksack, slinging it over my shoulder. "Here we go." I whispered to myself as I staggered down the stairs.

The second I entered the living room, my mum was already there waiting, an excited smile on her face. "Oh I'm so proud of you, going to a fancy academy." She smiled as she pulled me into a tight hug.

"It's not really that big of a deal." I said, attempting to rid the guilt that was settling in my stomach. She shouldn't be proud of me. She should've been ashamed; ashamed that her daughter was lying to her about who she really was. But I had no choice. I'd been offered a chance to learn control. I was doing this for her. I was doing this so that I could live a normal life with her.

When we finally parted, she hurried off into the kitchen and returned with something in her hands. "Can't forget this." She said, shoving the gold metal of my locket into my chest.

"Thanks." I smiled, quickly taking it from her and securing it around my neck. Despite the fact that this locket literally caused all this, I never went anywhere without it. I was found with it, which meant it must've been from my birth parents. I had no idea why they'd want me to have it, but I wanted to believe it was because they still loved me even though they gave me up.

"So are you sure you're going to be okay, or do you need me to come to the airport with you?" My mum asked as I dragged my case to the front door.

"It's fine, honestly. I'll be fine." I assured her as I opened the door.

"Good luck."

"Thanks mum." I smiled as I walked out the door, shutting it behind me. So this was it, my first steps towards the world of magic. And I had no idea whether it would be heaven...or hell.

***

a/n
So that was the first chapter! Hope it was okay lol. And again, thanks for reading!