Chapter 19

a/n
Just before I carry the story on, I just want to specify that Brandon is American in this. I just thought an American accent was more fitting for him than a British accent.

***

"I've been tracking that woman for a while. I just can't think why she came here." Brandon said, beginning to look me up and down. "What's so special about you?"

"Thanks."

"Sorry. It's just...you're human. What would she want with a human?"

"Sorry, what?"

He just gave me an awkward smile. "Oh right, yeah. This is gonna sound crazy, but that woman was a witch."

"I know."

"You...know?"

I nodded, sighing. "I'm...I'm a fairy." That still sounded strange to say, despite literally attending a college for fairies.

He just smiled, now seeming to be a little more comfortable. "Oh, right. Well that makes things less complicated then."

"Yeah. And if you want to know why she came here, she pretty much told me." I started. "Apparently, she's been after me ever since she found out I destroyed Hathen when I was a baby."

"Wait, that was you?" He looked pretty stunned now.

I nodded. "According to her, yeah. And now that she finally knows where I am, she's not going to stop is she?"

"Hey, is there anyone you can call? Ya know, in case she comes back." Brandon suddenly asked.

"Yeah...yeah there's someone."

He smiled. "Alright, well I gotta go. Maybe I'll see you around."

I just nodded before he took off down the street. And as I watched him disappear around the corner, everything finally began to sink in. My parents were dead. They were dead and it was all my fault. Dahlia went looking for me and found them, so she killed them. And now, she wanted to kill me. What was I going to do? With shaky hands, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and began scrolling through my contacts. And when I finally reached the right name, I felt a slight sense of relief. As I held the phone up to my ear, I could feel my heart hammering in my chest. I wasn't safe anymore. As long as she was out there, I'd never be safe. I was pulled away from my thoughts when the phone picked up. "Kody?"

"Riven? I...I need your help."

***

As Riven hurried towards me, I felt like I was going to collapse. It was like I was falling through an abyss, and I couldn't get back to the surface. I hated to admit it, but I was absolutely terrified. When Riven finally got to me, he pulled me into a hug...and I stopped falling.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded, still clinging to him. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I can't believe she fucking came here. What did she want?" He said, finally letting me go so we could talk face to face.

"To kill me? Maybe?"

"Shit."

"Look, I know this is asking a lot, but is there any chance you could stay here until we go back to Alfea?" I suddenly asked.

"Yeah, of course."

***

"You like Shakespeare?" So my mum let Riven stay, on the condition that he sleeps in the guest room, and now he was wandering around my room, mocking my taste in books.

"Shut up, there's nothing wrong with Romeo and Juliet." I laughed, snatching the book out of his hands.

"And what's this? A fucking book about murder."

"I like to read, so what?" I said, taking the book from him and setting it down on the desk.

"Remember when I told you you were cool?"

"Yeah?"

"I take it back. You're a weirdo."

***

a/n
Sorry the chapter's so short, it's only a filler lol. But yeah, hope you enjoyed! :)