Chapter 24

The images from my dream replayed in my mind as I stared down at my desk. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell someone, but I just didn't know how. Because, how do you tell someone that you think your own parents took away your magic? It wasn't exactly normal conversation. Plus, things were really good between me and Riven now, and this would only screw it up. Even if I didn't tell him, he'd eventually find out somehow, and then no one would be happy.

"Are you listening, Miss Myers?" A voice said, breaking through my thoughts.

Looking up, I saw the professor standing on his desk, pretty much glaring at me. We didn't have our usual class today. Instead, we had Professor Wizgiz, a second year professor. And we were learning about something both cool and completely irrelevant. He was teaching us something called Metomorphosymbiosis. It was a form of shape shifting, and I didn't want anything to do with it. Which was why I was able to zone out so easily. But now, I suppose I was paying the price. I shook my head, suddenly feeling everyone's eyes on me. "Sorry, sir."

"Something on your mind, Miss Myers?"

"No."

"Then I suggest you listen to the remainder of the class."

"Yes sir, sorry."

Despite him being a literal leprechaun, he had a lot of authority. A lot more than most teachers. And it was annoying.

***

My stomach churned as I thought of a way to tell Riven about my dream. I didn't know whether to just come out with it, or maybe just build up to it first. Unfortunately, I'd run out of time to think as Riven was now coming towards me.

"Hey." He smiled, leaning next to me against the pillar.

"Hi."

"You okay?"

"Riven, I need to tell you something."

"Oh shit, you're cheating on me with one of the Red Fountain guys." He joked, rolling his eyes.

I just laughed, forcefully hitting him in the arm. "Shut up, that's not funny."

"Wait, you're not actually cheating on me are you?"

"No. It's just...last night, I had this dream. I saw my parents talking about my locket." I explained.

"Okay, what were they saying?"

"It looked like they were going to use it to take away my magic."

He just looked at me in confusion. "What? Why would they do that?"

"I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with what Dahlia said. You know, about how I destroyed Hathen?"

He just shook his head, sighing. "I doubt it. Look, maybe what you saw didn't even happen."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, that maybe it was just a dream."

"Yeah, I suppose you might be right."

I didn't know if he was right, but I did know that that dream had to be something more. I could just feel it. Something wasn't right here.

***

That night, I found myself floating in the dark once again. And this time, another scenario was playing out in front of me.

"So she'll be untraceable?" My mother asked.

"Cora, for the last time. She'll be safe." My father said as he gently gripped his wife's shoulders.

As the dream went on, I eventually saw myself, tucked up in a basket. And there was the locket, secured around my neck, just as my mum found me. The thing is though, the longer I watched, the more confused I became. Now, all I knew was that they were taking my magic to keep me safe for some reason. But how would that keep me safe? Maybe I really was dangerous.

After a few more moments, the image became blurred and I shot up, sweaty and disorientated. I was back in my room again, but I was left more confused than the last time. What was happening? I'd never had dreams like this before, so why were they just happening now?