Chapter 7

The world around me seemed to be moving in slow motion as I stood in the cafeteria, my suspected past haunting my mind. I knew that I shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion so quickly last night, but it was hard not to when the evidence was right there in writing. The name of those two people was on the back of the locket I was found with. They had to be my parents. There was no other explanation. As I stood here, rolling it around in my head, I was wishing I had gotten the wrong end of the stick. But I couldn't find a reason to doubt it, which meant that I was most likely an orphan from a dead realm. I thought I knew who I was. But now, I don't know anything. I broke away from my troubling thoughts once I saw Riven approaching me. "Look, about last night." He started.

"Riven, don't. Please, just don't."

"No but, don't you think you might've jumped the gun a bit?"

"What?"

"Okay, so their surname was on your locket. That doesn't mean they're your parents. What if they made the locket? What if they just knew your parents? Your parents might not even be from that realm."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying it couldn't hurt to do a little more research on this." He suggested.

"You're not serious."

"Just think about it." He said, before turning around and walking back the way he came.

As I watched him walk away, I wondered why he was so determined to help me. We'd known each other for less than a week, yet he was acting like I was his only priority. And I know he said he was just bored, but if you're bored, you go and do something fun. You don't make it your mission to help someone find out about their past. It was just odd.

***

"You okay?" Sam questioned, clearly noticing my distant state.

"Uh, yeah. Just got a lot on my mind."

"Can I help?"

"If you had the chance to find out something extremely important about your past...would you?"

He hesitated for a moment before answering. "I guess I would."

"Really?"

He laughed. "Well, yeah. I mean, no matter how good or bad, I'd want to know about my past."

***

"I'm in." I told Riven, as he stood there, still trying to catch his breath. He'd literally only just finished training and he wasn't yet recovered, but I suppose that didn't stop him from flashing that smug smile. "Right, then meet me in the archive tonight."

***

"So you really think we're going to find something?" I questioned, turning what was probably the thousandth page in this book. We'd been here for at least two hours and we'd found nothing new. All we had was the list of people found dead on Hathen.

"Look, we might not find anything. But it doesn't hurt to try."

I looked at Riven, who looked like he was reaching his last nerve. You could tell this wasn't exactly his thing, but for some reason, he was determined to find something. I continued turning the frail pages of the book for a while and then Riven suddenly spoke. "You're an Earth Fairy, right?"

"Uh, yes. Why?"

"This place, Hathen, it was known for its nature."

I just sighed. "Well that doesn't mean anything."

"There were a lot of Earth Fairies knocking about." He suddenly said.

"Shit." I whispered. "So that means-"

"That you're most likely from here. And those people have got to be related to you in some way."

"Well that's it then isn't it."

"What?"

"Well, we've found out I'm basically from a dead realm. Which means we've reached a dead end. Now, all I know is my parents are dead. I don't know why they gave me up or how I got my magic. It's just a dead end."

He shrugged. "I guess you're right. Sorry I wasn't more help."

"Don't be sorry. At least now I know where I come from."

"Yes, but I was hoping to find out how the hell that necklace gave you your magic. It just doesn't make sense."

"Well I suppose we've just got to accept that we're never gonna know."

"Yeah."

I was quite disappointed that we couldn't find out more, but I suppose that was just the way it had to be. I just had to accept that my birth parents were probably dead. I was just sad that I couldn't find out what happened. The whole realm just died. Realms don't just die without a reason. It was just a shame I'd never know what happened there.

"I've got one last joint?" Riven suddenly said. "Want to share?"

I looked up at him, to see him smirking at me from across the table, the cigarette held loosely between his fingers.

"Oh, what the hell." I smiled, letting him light the joint and hand it to me. In the sixteen years that I'd been on this Earth, I never once thought I'd ever be sharing a joint with someone. Least of all, the douchiest guy I'd ever known. It was...interesting.