Chapter 20

As I stared up at the dark ceiling, Dahlia's words played over and over in my mind. Ever since the other day, I couldn't stop thinking about what she said; About how I was the one who destroyed Hathen, how my parents exiled me to Earth because of what I did. I couldn't help but feel responsible, like it was my fault they were killed. It had been days and I just couldn't let it go.

I jumped when I heard the door creak open, and when I sat up to look, Riven was creeping around the door. "Shit, sorry. Were you asleep?"

"No. Besides, I can't sleep anyway."

"How come?" He asked, sitting down on the floor beside my bed.

I sighed. "I don't know, I guess it's just all that stuff with Dahlia. I just can't stop thinking about what she said."

"You know it was probably all bullshit, right? That witch sounds batshit crazy."

"But what if she was telling the truth? That means that my parents shipped me off to Earth because I destroyed their home. And I just feel like it's my fault they're dead."

"If anyone's to blame, it's the witch. She was the one who killed your parents."

"What if my parents didn't want me?" I suddenly said.

He just laughed. "Oh come on, of course they wanted you. They'd be stupid not to. You're the most amazing person I've ever known."

"Really?"

"Yeah. When I first saw you, I just knew we'd be good friends."

"No you didn't."

"No, I didn't. I thought you were hot." He admitted.

"I thought you were a dick."

"Well you thought right."

All of a sudden, the room fell silent and as we sat looking at each other, time seemed to slow down. And moments later, Riven leaned towards me and gently pressed his lips against mine. And just for a second, I allowed myself to kiss him back. It was nice, until reality finally kicked in and I realised this was wrong. We couldn't do this. He had a girlfriend, and my life was already complicated enough. It just wasn't right.

"We can't do this." I said, finally pulling away.

"Yeah, you're right." He agreed, awkwardly looking away.

"Besides, you've got Beatrix and my life is so fucked up that it'd just be stupid to throw this into the mix. It's just not the right time for this."

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, you're right."

"So...let's just agree to forget this ever happened? Yeah?"

"Okay, it's forgotten."

***

The next morning, I woke up hoping that things would still be normal. But then the second I got downstairs, I saw Riven standing in the kitchen, and I felt like I was going to be sick. Great, so now I couldn't even look at him. I was lucky we only had one day left until we had to go back to Alfea. At least then I wouldn't be living with him.

"Morning." I mumbled, cautiously stepping further into the kitchen. I could tell that Riven found this just as awkward as I did, as he could barely raise his head to look at me.

"Morning." My mum chirped, quickly snatching the toast from the toaster. "Want some?"

I shook my head, reaching for a banana instead. "No, I'm fine thanks. Actually, I've got to go out for a bit."

"Okay, well just make sure you're back in time for dinner." She smiled. "We're having Sunday Roast."

I just nodded before smiling back and practically legging it out of the house. I still liked Riven. I just couldn't be around him properly after what happened last night. And it wasn't because I hated him or anything. It was actually because I wanted to kiss him. But I also wanted to stay friends to keep things from getting more complicated. Which was why I couldn't like him like that. I just couldn't. It was too...inconvenient.

***

When I was finally done lapping around the block, I decided to go home. I couldn't be late for dinner. And when I got back, Riven wasn't there. "Where's Riven?"

"Oh, he had to go home. But he said he'll see you tomorrow." My mum explained as she plated up the food.

"Alright." So I suppose he couldn't be around me either. As I stood there, watching my mum finish preparing the dinner, I began to think that we might've completely ruined our friendship last night. But what was I going to do? I didn't want to stop seeing Riven. But it was clear we couldn't just keep pretending. So, what were we going to do?

***

a/n
Okay so I know the kiss scene totally sucks so I'm really sorry. I'm just really terrible at writing kiss scenes aha. Anyway, hope you're enjoying it! :)