Chapter 8

Friday. It was only Friday and I'd already experienced so much drama. I'd literally been at Alfea for five days and the only thing I'd managed to learn was that my birthplace and my birth parents were dead. My life had gotten significantly darker since coming here. It was unreal.

"So where'd you go last night?" Bloom asked, snapping me out of my trance.

I turned to look at her, gripping my coffee mug tighter. "Uh, nowhere."

She laughed. "Alright, what's his name?"

"Excuse me?"

"Come on. Why else would you be sneaking out in the middle of the night?"

I sighed. "Look, I don't want to talk about last night, okay? So please just leave it."

"Okay, if that's what you want."

***

As I walked through the halls towards the cafeteria, the exhaustion began to weigh on me. I hated staying up late, but apparently finding out about my past was more important to me than eight hours of sleep. And I guess the joint didn't help either.

"Hey." A voice came from behind me.

"Hi." I smiled as Sam fell into step with me.

"So, you ready for another lesson of making Zanbaq later?"

I laughed. "You'd think I'd have mastered it by now, but even after two whole lessons I still can't get it."

"Oh come on, you've made some progress. The black goop...is brown now. Progress." He joked.

"Piss off."

We were interrupted when Riven came marching towards us. And I don't know if it was because he was smiling, but he looked insane. "I know where Hathen is, and I think we should go." He suddenly said.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked, extremely confused by what he was saying.

"I'll leave you two alone." Sam said, before awkwardly walking off, leaving me and Riven alone in the corridor.

"If you want to find out more about your birthplace, then we should go there. There's got to be something there that can help us."

"No offence, Riven, but we've known each other for less than a week and the only real thing we've shared with each other is a joint." I pointed out. "And you're asking me to go to a complete wasteland with you? For all I know, you could be plotting to kill me."

"Look, you don't have to decide now, so I'll give you a few days to think about it. After all, the place isn't exactly going anywhere."

Before I was able to answer him, he was already speeding off down the hall. What the hell was wrong with him? He was being totally crazy. As if he expected me to go off to another realm with him. Insane.

***

As I sat across from Sam, attempting to make Zanbaq for like the third time in a row, there was an uncomfortable silence between us. I knew it was obviously something to do with what happened this morning with Riven but I couldn't say anything. Riven and I were sneaking into the magic archive, which was off limits to all students and it was supposed to be a secret place in which only the teachers knew of. I couldn't exactly admit to trespassing could I? So instead, I was forced to sit there and be crushed by the deafening silence.

"So uh, what did that guy want earlier?" Sam finally asked.

"Oh, Riven? He uh...was probably just high or something." I excused. To be honest, that might not have been a lie. I don't actually ever recall seeing him without a joint in his mouth.

"Look, I know we haven't known each other long and we're not like best friends or anything. But I can see you're a good person and I don't wanna see you get hurt, so-"

"Stay away from him? He's bad news? Yeah, I've heard this speech before...from your sister, actually." I laughed, cutting him off. "It's fine, I know he's a shithead, but I can look after myself. So you don't have to worry."

There was a short moment of silence before Sam spoke up. "I really like you, ya know. And I hope we can be good friends some day."

I smiled. "Yeah, me too."