Chapter 30

A familiar voice echoed in my ears as I tried to force my eyes open. I knew I was probably dreaming but that didn't make me any less terrified to open my eyes. I had no idea what I was going to see. What if I was about to witness another brutal murder? When I finally opened my eyes, I was met with my birth mother's soft smile. It was like she was looking down at me. Except when she spoke, her eyes began to fill with tears and her voice started to choke up. "Now, Ivy, we have to send you away but I promise you'll be safe."

She paused for a moment before continuing on. "You're going to live a safe, human life. And...and you're going to be taken in by a wonderful family. Now, mummy's going to miss you so much, but we have to do this so we can keep you safe. So we can keep everyone safe."

Before she was able to say anything else, she was called away by her husband. And I watched helplessly as she turned and walked away to him. As she disappeared from my sight, everything else started to fade and when I opened my eyes again, everything was blurred from the tears that were now staining my cheeks. I'd just watched my mum say goodbye to me, and I didn't even know if it was real.

After a few minutes, I decided there was no point in trying to go back to sleep, as I'd never be able to drift off with the image of my mother weighing on my mind. So instead, I climbed out of bed and quietly left to the common area. Sitting down on the sofa, I proceeded to vacantly stare out of the window as the dream repeated in my mind. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. I'd never experienced such vivid dreams. And I just knew that this had to be linked to my damn locket. The second I opened it on my birthday, it was like it set off a chain reaction of eternal torture. First, it made me a fairy. Then, it led me to my real parents, who I soon found out were dead. And now, it was probably the cause of these awful dreams. I didn't know how much more of this I could take. It was like I was being slowly buried under every magical problem that cropped up. And I didn't know what to do.

"Everything okay?" A voice whispered. Looking up, I saw Bloom walking towards me.

"I don't really know." I shrugged as she sat down on the sofa beside me.

"Is it something to do with Riven?"

"No."

"Wanna talk about it?"

I sighed. "I've been having these dreams, except they're not dreams. They're more like...memories."

"What are they about?"

"Uh, my real parents? I don't know, I just keep seeing them in these dreams and they're talking about sending me away." I confessed, my stomach sickening at the thought of my parents giving me up.

"Wow, uh...I...I don't know what to say." Bloom stuttered, clearly surprised by what I'd just told her. "And what, you think these are memories?"

"I don't know. All I know is I've never experienced anything like this before." I said. "And I just can't help but think there's a reason for all this."

"You sure they're not just normal dreams?"

"I don't think so."

"Well if you think it's something more, then you should probably look into it." Bloom suggested.

"You think I'm crazy don't you."

"Of course I don't. You're my friend and if you think something's not right with these dreams, then I believe you and I'll support you with whatever you decide." She said, smiling.

"Thanks." I said before she got up and went back to bed, leaving me alone on the sofa.

***

The next morning, the images of my mother wouldn't leave my mind. They seemed to follow me around from the moment my day started. And it was horrible. I should've been focusing on my classes but I could barely even focus on walking through the halls. And I was so distracted in fact that I managed to walk straight into someone on the way to class.

"Oh hey Kody." A cheerful voice said. Brandon was now smiling down at me. "You on your way to class?"

"Uh, yeah." I said, shaking my head slightly.

"You okay?" He asked, clearly noticing my dazed state.

"Yeah, sorry, I have to go."

***

Throughout the whole of Palladium's class, I was distracted by my thoughts. And as I sat staring down at my hands, the world around me disappeared and it was like I was trapped in my own bubble, with only my worrying dreams to keep me company.

Once the sound of chairs scraping on the floor was heard, I snapped out of my trance and lazily picked up my stuff. Just as I was zipping my bag up, the professor called my name, asking to speak to me. I'd had it now.

"Are you alright, Kody?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's nothing. I'm just dealing with some personal stuff." I excused, shrugging slightly.

"Well I know I'm only your teacher, but if you ever need somebody, I'm here. Okay?"

"Thank you sir."

***

"Are you alright?" Riven questioned, a look of concern on his face.

I sighed. "Yeah, it's just...I had another dream last night."

"Well there's no need to worry." He said. "Even if they aren't just your imagination."

"Why?"

He laughed, before pulling me into a hug. "Because you've got me to protect you."

"Riven, this is serious."

When he let me go, his smile faded and it was clear he could see how much this was bothering me. "Alright, if you really believe something's off then I'll help you figure it out."

"Really?"

"Yes of course. You're my girlfriend, I'd do anything for you."

I smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too." He said, gently tangling his fingers with mine. "So shall we meet in the archive tonight?"

"Yeah, sounds great."