Chapter 34

The forest was silent as we all stood waiting for the army to arrive. We probably had about seven minutes before they broke through, and with each ripple of power that was released from the weakening barrier, I grew more and more fearful. There was an actual army on its way here, and we were going to fight it. And I had absolutely no experience. I was still barely able to use my magic.

"Are you going to be okay?" Riven whispered, standing closer to me. "I know you haven't had much practice with your magic yet."

I just gave him a faint smile, holding up the thin glowing sword in my hand. "I'll be fine. I've got this, I can defend myself."

"Alright, just...be careful." He said, before gently gripping my free hand with his.

A few more minutes passed and a loud bang was heard, causing the ground to shake. The impact was so great, I was almost knocked off my feet. They were through. The crash was then followed by the sound of heavy footsteps as the army marched towards us. And as they advanced, I looked to Riven for a final moment of comfort before we engaged in battle. He simply squeezed my hand and smiled at me, assuring me we'd get through this, before rushing off into the trees. I followed after him, my heart racing and my breathing frantic. I didn't want to do this. I wanted to turn and run away, but I couldn't. Dahlia had only brought this army here to get to me. I couldn't just stand back and let other people risk their lives for me. I had to help.

When the first dark soldier approached me, I didn't know what to do so I just swung my sword at it, hoping it would do some damage. And it did. I opened my eyes and the soldier was crumbling to the floor. I did it, I defeated one of them. But just as I was starting to gain some confidence, the debris began to move. And within seconds, the soldier I had just slain had re-materialised in front of me. I tried to swing my sword at it again but this time, it knocked the weapon straight out of my hand. My only option left was to use magic. But so far, all I'd been able to do was make a plant grow and lift a few leaves into the air. I wasn't ready for this, but I tried anyway. However, my attempt was useless as my magic was taking too long to surface and the creature was now coming closer to me, intending to swat me like a fly with its huge claws. I continued to step backwards, staring at it with wide eyes, and then I finally tripped and fell to the ground. I closed my eyes, awaiting my doom, but after a few seconds, I couldn't help but notice nothing had hit me. Opening my eyes, I now saw Tecna standing over me, a small smile on her face. "Are you okay?"

I stood up, brushing myself down. "Yeah, thanks."

"Next time, try and be more careful." She advised before rushing off.

I immediately ran over to my sword, picking it up off the floor and this time keeping a tight grip on it. I couldn't allow myself to get in that situation again. If it wasn't for Tecna, I'd be done for. Looking around the battlefield, I saw everyone fighting, and I now had a closer look at some of the soldiers. They weren't all like the one I'd just encountered. Some of them were even bigger...and scarier. I had to get myself together. I was never going to be of any help if I just continued to stand here doing nothing, so I made sure my weapon was secure in my hand before charging towards one of the soldiers.

But before I even got close to one of the creatures, I spotted Dahlia in the distance. She looked so smug hiding behind her army. After seeing her, I lost all interest in the army, and apparently I'd lost all sense too, as I quickly cut through the army and ran towards Dahlia. I didn't even know what I was going to do. All I knew was that she had to pay, and I was the one who had to make her pay.

When I finally reached the clearing, Dahlia was standing there, smirking. "Finally, I was able to lure you out of that wretched school."

"Why are you doing this?"