Chapter 6

"Why do you care?" I suddenly asked. We'd been rifling through books for about an hour now and we'd still found nothing. I imagined Riven would've gone by now but he was still sitting across from me, his eyes fixed on the book in front of him.

"What?" He responded, looking up.

"Why do you care?"

"I don't."

"If you don't care, then why help?"

"Because I'm bored." He sighed. "Now shut up and keep looking."

After a few more minutes of sitting in silence and turning pages, Riven spoke up again. "Do you even know where you're really from?"

I shook my head. "Nope. Not a clue."

"Do you know the names of your parents?"

"No."

"What about that locket? Is there anything in there? Maybe that could tell us something."

I shrugged, taking the locket off and handing it to him. "I don't think you'll find anything. I've never noticed anything."

I watched as he examined the necklace in his hands, inspecting every aspect of it. The chain, the pattern, everything. "What's this?" He finally said, showing me the writing on the back of the locket.

"Caddel. I just thought it was the brand or something."

"Well maybe it means something."

"I doubt it."

"Well we can still fucking look, can't we."

"Yeah, sure."

***

"Caddel. I found it." Riven suddenly said, practically throwing the book at me. I carefully pulled it towards me and began to read what was on the page. But the second I read it, I was really wishing I hadn't. "They're dead." I muttered, feeling a sudden emptiness inside me.

"What? Who's dead?"

"Everyone. The whole realm, a place called Hathen. It's a list of the dead, Cora and Malaki Caddel."

"Let me see." He ordered, snatching the book from me. Seconds after reading the page, his confidence faded. "Shit."

"Yeah."

"The whole place just...died. It's a fucking wasteland."

"Yes, so thank you Riven for convincing me to do this because now I know that my real parents not only didn't want me, but are also dead. So thanks for that." I snapped, before getting up and marching out of the library. As I walked through the hallways, my heart hurt. At least when I didn't know anything about my parents, I was still able to believe they were alive. Now, I find out that not only my birthplace is dead, but so are my birth parents. And I didn't even know why. All I knew was that I was likely the last living child of Hathen. And it hurt.

***

a/n
Sorry this chapter is so short, I just thought it'd be a good place to end it so then I can start a new chapter. Also, I know that Riven and Kody have literally only known each other for 3 days but what I was trying to go for was something like Riven has taken an interest in her, which is why he's so eager to know more about her and also help her. Oh and just one more thing, the realm 'Hathen', the name is a work in progress so sorry about that. I know the name sounds so awkward and weird lol. I'm trying to make a new name up.
But anyway, hope you're enjoying the story so far! Thanks for reading!