Always With Me

– T A Y A H –

It had been three nights on the desolate island. Three nights of coconut and construction. We were close to finishing the vessel that would carry us back to some form of civilisation–for whatever life we made of it.

I thought the dreamless nights were a blessing. I also thought they would continue. But on the fourth night I set my head down against a makeshift pillow of palms and sand, I dreamed.

I knew it was such because I was in Valhalla again. It was so damn painfully detailed. I almost believed it were real. When I walked down the cool stone of Kára's home I begged myself to believe it was real. I took in the fire pit, the light curtains that breezed gently between stone pillars–

Then I saw her.

The goddess in her glorious armour. Furs on her shoulders and gleaming armour over her skin. She faced the mountain range beyond the balcony. I went to her. I just wanted to see her face again–those star like eyes on me. Only for me.

But when I reached her and set my hand on her shoulder she became nothing more than smoke in the wind. I lowered my hand slowly and spun on my heel looking around.

"Please." I whispered to no one. "I just need to see you one more time–"

She appeared across the hall. The epitome of beauty and chaos herself. A warrior and lover. She looked at me the way she had before. It caught my breath. Seeing her beautiful blonde hair loose in waves over her shoulders. Her bright eyes looking across at me–she smiled.

Right before the blood started leaving her lips and she fell to her knees.

I rushed to her, running faster than my legs had dared take me on the mortal realm. I caught her shoulders and tried to find the injury. But there was nothing. She stared at me. Through me as the blood left her lips and her bright eyes became more grey.

"I don't blame you. Tayah." She mumbled, before slumping forward. I looked down at my hands and they held a dagger in her chest.

I woke with a shout that could wake the entire continent. 

"WHERE!" John bolted off the sand taking a half conscious swing in the night.

Kaden too looked ready to pick a fight with the nearest tree.

I stared up that the star filled sky and evened my breathing. The men finally looked down at me before realising.

"Another dream, little Ashrive?" Kaden asked.

I nodded, unable to meet their worried expressions. I turned over on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry I woke you."

"Think nothing of it." John dismissed, with a yawn. "You did me a favour–my dream had Kaden in it."

Kaden chuckled, laying back down near me. "I am quite dream worthy, it's true."

I heard sand thrown and let out a long sigh. Why did it have to be a nightmare. Why could it not be her walking into my dreams? What I wouldn't give to be with her in a way that wasn't in blood and death. It was even a big ask in reality.

Sleep would never find me now.

"I'm going for a walk." I muttered towards the men.

I heard them mumble something before slumping back down on the sands again. I strode slowly under the moonlight not sure what I sought at all. If nothing but an escape from my dreams.