Dark Truths

– T A Y A H –

I didn't take my eyes off him.

Even as more assassins died around us in various ways. The blonde haired goddess held him securely as Revna despatched of any danger with far too much joy on her features.

"I see you have made another..." He grunted in pain before continuing, "–dangerous friend."

I forced a smile onto my face as I patted his shoulder carefully. I could smell the blood on him and it was no small amount which drove my nerves higher. "You don't send boys to do a woman's job."

He snorted and instantly winced. "Under normal circumstances I welcome–more women."

We now emerged out of the tunnel and into the small and wrecked living space with bodies laying on the floor.

"John would argue that part." I told him dryly as my eyes stared at the pooling blood that had now turned dark.

He jut his large jaw out when I mentioned our best friend. "That horse's ass is the reason I was in here."

I stared at him in shock before I heard a door slam open to my left and I instinctively flung the blade at my hip. It went straight through a woman's eye who was dressed in plain clothing. I froze as I watched her drop to her knees instantly dead.

"That–she wasn't–" I murmured in a dead voice.

"Come, Tayah. We have no time." Kára began touching my arm. I flinched sharply and I saw the shock painted starkly on her face.

"What is wrong with me." I whispered staring at the dark haired mortal that had just run into a house at the wrong moment.

A gusty sigh sounded behind me before Revna strode up to the body and cut a line down the back of her dress.

"What the hells are you doing?!" I growled as flames wrapped around my fists.

"See for yourself." She answered me in a bored tone, looking briefly at my hands before chuckling. Despite it all I looked down and saw the concealed blade under her clothing.

"She was wolf dressed as a lamb. Let's move on, immortal. Or do you need a moment." She mocked.

I didn't even have it in me to snarl at the cold demi-god. I stared and shook my head following them out of the door. But I could feel Kára's eyes burning into mine in question under Kaden's meaty arm.

The rain kissed my face like a long lost friend as we emerged onto the streets. I stood there for a moment as it hit me and the others made their way into the shadows of the alley.

"We need a horse for the mortal. He will loose too much blood staggering around this way." Kára murmured to Revna and she nodded quickly before disappearing around a corner. She carefully set Kaden down into a sit against the wall making him grunt.

Now she met my gaze more fully and held it in question. Instead of answering I crouched before my friend and tilted his bearded chin up to meet my eyes.

"I've barely been gone a month and you all seem to have facial hair. Standards have dropped."

He managed a deep chuckle before slapping my hand away. "If I weren't the forgiving type, I'd have knocked you off your feet the moment I saw you. Immortal or not." He finished with a snort.

"John tried that." I smirked. Glad to have a slither of normality on this realm for a moment.

"Hah!" He grinned. "Did you trade a few back?" He said with an eyebrow waggle.