Damned Mortals

– K Á R A –

"No." I stated flatly, pulling my black hood lower over my eyes.

"You know there are no looser lips found than in those places." Revna reasoned as she half turned back to my planted form.

"I have spent enough for one lifetime around drunk mortals, thank you." I got out between my teeth.

The sky had darkened considerably now and the night was beginning to creep in. This drew a steady line of mortals towards the Inn's tavern. It appeared the place still maintained a reputation despite the scorched west wing. I flexed a hand on the dagger concealed at my hip. Revna did not miss this despite the low light and distance.

"We need more information." She told me taking a step towards the thick wooden door that spilt golden light through the cracks.

"There are plenty of sober ones I wish to interrogate." I retorted casting my eyes for another entrance–any other entrance.

"Very well, I shall go alone–"

"No." I snapped. Her bright grey eyes flashed to mine before a crooked smirk took its place.

"So concerned for my safety... it's endearing." She took her hand off the door and appraised me more fully. "It is not too late for us to–"

"Finish your words and they will be your last." I shot back in lethal quiet that I knew her ears would pick up on. Her eyes flashed in challenge. "Lead. Revna." I murmured, pushing past her and a few stumbling mortals to the door.

It hit me like a slap. The smell, the noise, the flick of hands between dice, the splash of ale, the scrape of a chair–

"Delicious." A familiar voice murmured near me.

"Stay focused." I said as I scanned the crowds. "We find out the cause and if the mortal, Xerxes lives. Then we leave this desperate–"

Revna had already waltzed off to find her first target before my words could finish. I glared as she dropped her hood and caught the eyes of many she passed. I rolled my eyes and kept my hood down as I dodged patrons to secure safety at a wall.

They must frequent this place enough to know its gossips. Whether the owner had been seen. The timing of the damage and the suspects. I was not optimistic.

I watched. Scanned and observed various social encounters. Wenches tipping chests low to earn coin. Patrons slurring words and making grand and moronic gestures. Women running hands in places under tables to gain attention from males. Males pulling women in for dances to the sound of loots. One couple caught my attention and held it.

They made no grand gestures or hideous dance routines. A silent conversation seemed to take place between them across a table, surrounded by friends. Yet they only had eyes for one another. The noise and chaos around them was meaningless.

A pang of something hit me directly in the chest. It was not pleasant. An urge to share the same with Tayah. My immortal. We had such an understanding as these mere mortals had. A silent understanding that those around would never understand. I did not even want them to. As I stared long and hard at the couple I missed the bearded man  slurring something to my face.

It didn't even sound Uccellon.

"Apologies mortal, I do not speak buffoon." I said flatly as I made an effort to avoid further contact.

A booming laugh drew my eyes back to the drunk with a disturbed glance. 

"Ya need a gud seein to love." He grinned over his mug and made to slap my side.