Home Again

– T A Y A H –

This day had been on my mind at every slither. The moment we rode our stolen horses and clothes right up to the tall gates of Vayleron city.

The next thought was what the hell I would tell the immortals that were in there.

"We will not be checked by the guard, correct?" Astrid questioned, eyeing the armoured pikemen that poked through a cart of hay.

"Well, that was before an immortal named Anselle started murdering mortals by the dozen so your guess is as good as my own." I told her still staring at the high white walls in the early morning sun.

We rode our horses up to the line of other mortals seeking access. Mostly traders and farmers at a glance. A line that looked to exasperate the guards who only halfheartedly checked goods. When we finally arrived before the bored and tired eyes of the guard they took one glance at our weathered cloaks and horses and waved us past.

Astrid snorted beside me as our horses walked the cobbled streets.

"They don't have enough food in their bellies to make their days any longer than need be." I summarised for her.

"Mortals." She sighed, "Always concerned with lesser priorities than the task at hand."

"Exactly." I agreed without hesitation. I made sure my hood now covered half of my face as we walked our horses to the stable I knew of. They had done admirably to get us here in such time with no superior breeding to boast of.

I rubbed the mane of my own mottled grey with pride and she whinnied back at me demanding food. I unseated and led her to the stable boy without delay. I flicked him a gold piece and his eyes widened before he ran to gather the reins of both horses.

"That is to keep your mouth closed, boy. And take fine care of these two." I finished as his eyes widened and he nodded his sandy haired head vigorously.

"Ye–es my lady–ma'am." He corrected and hurried the mares into the free stalls.

We turned away from them and took shade near an alley assessing our surroundings.

"So." I voiced, glancing at Astrid pointedly.

She frowned at me under the shade with steely eyes.

"How do I track Stormbringer?" I asked casually. My heart however, pounded loudly in my ears.

Her expression shifted into understanding as she watched the crowds pass in the street beyond.

"Her energy signature of course." She stated easily as I listened more attentively. "It is very distinct from our own. We manipulate the fire element. Her the thunder of the skies. Revna the earth. They smell of it." She said as she turned to me with a raised brow.

"Can you not sense this?"

I returned it with a flat look. "Can't say I can distinguish the smell of thunder and earth beyond this lot." I said jutting a thumb out to the many scents of the mortals shifting wares on the streets beyond us.

She chuckled to herself and closed her eyes beginning to focus intently. I waited patiently as she honed whatever it was she was familiar to and then her eyes snapped open.

"It appears they stopped for a drink or so."

"What makes you say that?" I asked with no small amusement thinking of Kára tasting mortal ale again.

"Their power reeks of it. Come let me show you." She said, quickly pacing away from our enclosed spot into the crowds.

We walked for slithers. Deeper and deeper into the city before a very familiar inn emerged before us. But I stared for a much worse reason than fond memories.