The Dust Lands

"One's options in this world are as vast as the horizon, which is technically a circle and thus infinitely broad. Yet we must choose each step we take with utmost caution, for the footprints we leave behind are as important as the path we will follow." 

― Lori R. Lopez

– K Á R A –

I inspected the wooden raft that would soon be our ship for travelling the dusty wastelands to the northern capital. I had read many stories of its depths in this continent. The souls that have been countlessly lost to its endless orange sands. All it took was mortal underestimation of the realm's scale. A few spans without water would be enough to kill the men–then a few more to kill immortals on this realm.

I kicked a boot into the hull of wood and a plank fell off. John pulled up from his work with a dark scowl. He waved a metal device in my direction with a curse.

Tayah lay underneath a palm tree waiting for the moment she needed to weld metal parts together. A map was in her hands and she stared intently at the endless streets of the Kanton capital.

"We need more space!" Kaden complained.

John flung a towel from his sweaty bare shoulder and slapped the mortal with it.

"We need speed you oversized buffoon! Any additional weight–on top of you, will consume our time." He snapped, turning back to his hull to hammer another set of nails. Before the man could snap a retort he turned to see a giggling boy.

Yanu was tangled in the sail and buried under mounds of cloth and corse material. The hulking man's scowl melted in a moment and he began unwrapping the layers from the source. I rolled my eyes skyward and tugged at the now sleeveless immortal tunic. I wanted my hood back. It was too exposing to let every mortal witness my endless exasperation–

"This city is bigger than anything I have ever seen!" Tayah called, under the shade. Her eyes focused intently with the map spread against the stone and a hand under her chin.

"Imagine Vayleron ten fold." I told her simply, picking up a free water skin and taking a careful sip. I could feel her disbelieving stare on me.

"Do they have a whore–"

"They have everything of Vayleron. Ten fold." I cut in before letting Kaden's mind finish his repulsive thoughts.

The men exchanged a knowing look before laughing and discussing women more intently. I sauntered over to Tayah's shaded spot and crouched before the map. I pointed quickly to a spot near the centre.

"They do not hold a monarchy like your custom. There are no Kings and Queens. They have warlords." I murmured, tracing my hand to three other places across the city.

Tayah frowned at the map. "Who keeps the city in order if not a Royal guard?"

"Imagine a city run by the mercenary guild. Only there are four war lord factions. They do not compete but run it collectively. Their fighters are formidable and none challenge the authority based on their skill." I finished, thinking of the strange curved blades and knives they utilised. Light weapons. Light armour. They were indeed worthy of praise–for mortals...

I heard little footsteps shuffling in the sand behind us and the boy bonded into sight before Tayah could answer. Her frown morphed into a smirk and she allowed the boy to duck under her arm and get involved with the discussion. His wide eyes grew brighter when he saw the familiar city. He rushed out in Kanton quickly.