Immortal Rules

– K Á R A –

I left the goddess with burning silver eyes at my home. A separation I fully intended to make brief.

Revna gave me a sidelong look with amusement still in her eyes. I made a point to fully ignore her as we strode down the prism bridge that glinted in every colour of the spectrum and more. I watched the clouds and mountains drift below our feet as we neared the point where immortals stood to descend into the mortal realm.

Not without her. Not before I had my hand in it.

"How long do you think you can keep this up?" She said casually as we paced.

I stared straight ahead as I answered, "I have an infinite amount of time here so there is your answer."

"I did not mean ignoring me." She scoffed. "I meant your love affair." She said wryly.

I clenched a fist and hefted Thanatos on my back. It was good to have the weight of the relic back in its rightful place. My glimmering armour and spear too, took their rightful place.

"She is no affair. I have not the patience to explain what she is to me." I grit out.

"Kára, you are my oldest companion. You answer me like I am lesser than a second glance."

I stopped in stride and watched her emotionless. "I will only say this once. Then I want no more word on it." She watched me cautiously holding breath. Even the midnight strands of her hair seemed to still.

"You know. Not what she is. To me." I finished sharp as a blade. "Let us see to it what Odin needs of us and I shall worry of my own business."

Revna was shocked into silence. I strode past her without flinching. A warrior once more and ready to think only of my task at hand. Her footsteps soon engaged to my side and she wisely remained silent for the rest of our walk to the gate. It did not surprise me at her ignorance. I was usually so predictably cold. An unnerved warrior and heartless lover–if at all. Tayah had shattered that part of me but the likes of the immortal beside me knew nothing of this. Why must I show her differently? It will not get us back to Valhalla any sooner.

It was soon upon us. The bridge between immortality and mortality. A wide circle of the crystal refracting light all around the clouds. Odin materialised before the ring. We paused on its edge and dropped to a knee with heads bowed in respect.

"Rise." The voices of many spoke.

The dark cloak towered over us before shifting to the side and painting the inner circle in light. It morphed and changed into that of an image. To that of bodies. Mortals dying. A river of blood and the cause standing with arms drenched in their crimson.

"She causes the fall and ruin of any who have been touched by Tayah Ashrive all to gain attention of the immortals." Odin informed us factually. "This would not be of concern if it were not upsetting the balance and course of the mortal realm but... it is taking its toll." He spoke more quietly as the image shifted and painted us a picture of the Assassins Guild, then the guild of thieves and finally the royalty of the Uccellon Empire.

The light vanished and Odin turned to us.

"Anselle has been allowed the luxury of time on the mortal realm. This can no longer stand. I need my best to dispatch of her before the fractures of her destruction span too far."

Revna dropped to a knee at once, accepting all of what the god asked and ready to action on it. But I hesitated and Odin knew too well. Before I could speak my mind the voices did.