Act Mortal

"Life doesn't mean a thing
We will all burn to the ground
Love is the only thing. 
"

– Missio

– T A Y A H –

I rolled over in the bed and smiled at the smell. That sweet and woodland smell of her. I reached my arm over and felt nothing but sheets.

My eyes flashed open and found myself alone.

I sat up and scanned the room quickly. The second thing I noticed was my immortal's armour gone along with her. I grit my teeth and let a puff of frustration leave me before ripping the sheets away and grabbing the first garment I found over a chair.

When I was in a tunic, riding leathers and had a dagger against my hip, I turned to the desk to grab my knives only to pause. A piece of parchment lay folded all too conspicuously. I palmed it and flicked it open briskly.

Tayah, forgive me.

I must finish what I am on this realm to do. I must do it alone. I will find you once it is done and you may decide how to spend your time on the mortal realm. I will not force you to return to Valhalla with me. 

Yours always.

She didn't bother to sign her name in that elegant script. There was no need. No other. I burnt it in my hand with little immortal energy.

Then turned to the nearest object and sent my fist straight through it. The desk snapped in half. I spun from my heel and strode swiftly to the door before yanking it open. I took the stairs quickly, not regarding any of the people milling about in the lower floor. A few cast me cautious looks. 

When I hit the cool Vayleron air I broke into a quick run in the last direction of that hideous underground nightmare. I knew the assassins had locations in so many networks running under taverns and inns but this... it was a different league of covert.

I found it all too easy to track our scents from the night before. Easier still to fly down the sharp turns and alleys that would lead me there. I kept my hand near my knives in hidden spaces as I ran, pulling my hood lower over my face.

What I did not anticipate after slithers of running was a tail.

I increased my speed so that no mortal could keep this up. Darting into sharp and dark turns that pulled me deep into the depths of outer Vayleron. I pushed harder and bounded up a wall, flipping onto a rooftop before crossing it in a few strides and dropping off the edge.

I dropped into a crouch, breathing heavily.

Slow clapping sounded from the other side of the alley. I took all of a blink to draw steel and fire into the other hand.

"Not too intelligent." A familiar voice drawled.

It only fuelled me more when I realised. I sent a powerful blast of fire at the hooded figure only to watch it vanish and become absorbed. Her hands glowed in response before Kára dropped her hood and gave me a sidelong look.

I threw a dagger spinning before she could call on her power. She dodged to the side with a snort. It clattered against the stone where her head was.

"Just the person I wanted to see." I snapped.

Her face was instantly that of apology. "Hear me before you–"