As the Crow Flies

– K Á R A –

I kept to myself aboard the ship whenever possible.

Of course the First Officer let the crew know a witch was among them and had put an end to the guild leaders of Vayleron. In fact it helped keep the mortals motivated to maintain a distance. One burly man with more sunburnt skin than regular skin backed so far from my path that he almost went overboard. 

My day consisted of getting some slithers of fresh air and meditating for the moment I could return to Tayah Ashrive's dreams.

She only found it amusing that I was once again trapped on a ship surrounded by simpletons. I told her my use of the winds would close my distance to her faster and I would arrive in spans but she had surprised me by admitted her own use of power. How she had used a hot jet of fire to propel a handmade craft across the rough seas to get her onto the Kanton shores. At first I laughed. Then I heard how precariously close to death she was by going after John Keavesmith in the water.

Keavesmith again. I'd have to find an excuse for his early death. It would save my sanity.

I sighed and set my head upon my hands against the rail as sailors shouted behind me at work. I could be a patient person. But trapped on this stinking wood with all of the unsavoury mortals was making me more than restless in my waking moments when I couldn't go to Tayah. We had finally mapped out a routine when we could communicate and I had many slithers to burn in the mean time. 

A female cleared their throat behind me.

I half turned over a furred shoulder and found the navy coated Officer looking hesitantly at me. I sighed through my nose.

"You again."

"I do not mean to disturb–"

"Yet here we are." I cut in flatly.

She swallowed and nodded with a wince. "It's just that I've noticed–well we have noticed–the unnatural winds taking us forth in the day..."

I waited with a flat look as the mortal got more flustered and filled her pockets with her hands. I tried to picture how Tayah would handle this mortal. She had an easy spirit and bonded easily with flustered mortals–she'd probably charm her way out of the situation...

"It may sound bold–but if it were you using wind magic to aid us–I can suggest the direction to optimise our speed in daylight hours so we can reach our–"

I chuckled, interrupting her growing anxiety.

"Hold on a slither. You wish to direct my power?" I stated, dripping heavy irony.

"No–well yes–but just guide it using nautical instruments for efficiency." She clarified raising her palms in an attempt to placate me. I grinned wickedly with no humour, it only made her flinch.

"Of course, mortal. Why don't you also show me how to direct the powers of the Underworld through Hades relic more efficiently."

Her face drained of colour and she couldn't find the words to that. My humour passed and I cracked a ball of lightening into my fist.

"Perhaps–I should get back–"

I nodded slowly, watching her trip backwards to join the other mortals. When she was finally out of my sight I drew back the power and smirked. Turning back to my position on the horizon. Almost had the audacity of Ashrive. Almost.

"She just be trying to help lass." An older, more weathered mortal called down to me from the helm. I dragged my eyes slowly up to the captain with a clean shaven and military grey cut about his hair.