Ever Nearer

– K Á R A –

The dark clothed thief led us down the steps of a thick walled building. Darkness briefly claimed the hard steps as we arrived at a sturdy door with a slat. He rapped bony fingers on it thrice and  then once, then thrice again.

The slat opened and with it flowed the noise of many mortals beyond. It closed once again and a heavy lock slotted back before the door did with a grunt. I pulled my hood close and kept my blades closer. Wandering fingers ready to be dismembered.

I stayed close to my escort. Not out of any need for security... for the sake of appearances only. My assumption was that thieves did not steal from thieves. For their sake I hope it worked.

The smell of sweat and coin was thick as we dodged a packed crowd in a circle. We stayed as close to the outer wall as possible. But I still heard the familiar crack of bone against skin beyond them. Could still smell the tang of blood over sweat and cheap ale. As I was beginning to lose patience with the constant proximity of filth we arrived at another smaller door.

The meager guards dropped my escort nods and began opening it–then they caught my shadow close to him and drew embarrassing blades from sheaths. 

He dipped forward and murmured something quickly before the suspicion melted off their faces and something else claimed it. Thinly veiled amusement and understanding. So that was it then. The mortal before me did think he really would escape this with numbers at his side. I resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. I was not here to waste time killing these wastes of air.

We walked through the torch lit door and down the wooden hallway.

It didn't take long and it was not an impressive sight when we did arrive. I was sure boredom and minor disgust painted my face. In less time than it took to draw the next breath I had accounted for how I could dispatch all twelve bodies that filled the slightly larger room. Including its leader if needed. The weapons were an embarrassment in holsters and the skill level was likely even more so.

I crossed my arms ready for the predictable lecture that would follow.

"Iko!" The guild master drawled under a large brimmed leather hat. It appeared that the leader was younger and taller. The title taken from the last I had met. The arrogant mortal that had dropped in on Tayah's group in Vayleron last I was in this dismal city. 

"You have a new friend." He grinned with a glint in his eye I supposed was meant to look threatening.

My former escort dropped his head and crossed his forearms. Now he turned to me more at ease and assumed I felt less so. Morons.

"Tried to jump me on watch. Likely wants some of the Jester's merch if I'm honest." He sniffed and spat towards me. I gripped a fist and flexed my fingers. After a measured breath I spoke.

"Let's cut some time here." I grit out. "I need information–"

The guild leader boomed out a laugh and others joined.

"What makes you think you're in any position to be demanding in my house?" He cackled as he bounced a leg and drummed his hand on a weathered chair. 

The place had a second hand feel about every item in it. It was hardly about style... some twisted mismatch of furniture that was out of place like many of the garments in the room. The only thing that couldn't be stolen was the fireplace which hissed.

It was the moment my escort started snickering that I lost my patience...

I did not hide my speed nor my ability. Before the mortals could drag in a breath for the next laugh I was behind him, snapped onto his knees and held a damandium blade against his throat. His shudders rippled along with the smell of piss.