The Darkness

THE DARKNESS

There's a long moment of silence, because now Ellie's nightmare is real. And it's staring right back at her, and she can't stop crying or even think straight. She tries to take a deep breath, and she wipes her tears away even though they keep failing as she steps forward. "How...?"

"How? That's really what you worried about, right now?" Jughead scoffs, and that harshness is like a punch in her stomach. He stands up from her sit by the window. "But if you really must know, Chic snitched. And I really thought he was bluffing but then I remembered... it's not the first time with you and drugs... So I met with Reggie, and he snitched too."

"Does..." Ellie looks down ashamed. "Does Betty know?"

"No, it was just Chic and I." He tells her, and she sighs in relief for a moment. And then he continues. "Then I remembered about the third drawer, but... It wasn't there, probably so Betty wouldn't find it... But you should have thought about how I know you used to hide your pocket money in your old shoes by the door."

Ellie closes her eyes at his words for a second, and she presses her lips together, the tears running right to her chin now. "I can explain, Jug."

"How could you do this?" Jughead exclaims, and he sounds so angry it almost kills her. "Do you have any idea how dangerous this is?! You could have died,"

"I did what I had to do, okay?" She cries out, she can't take it anymore. Not from him out of all people. "Why do you even care so much?! You once told me unless you're food or water don't act like I need you, so maybe you should take your own advice and don't –."

"I care about you, Ellie!" He shouts, and he doesn't remember them fighting this bad. But those words, he still remembers them, and he was wrong then. He needs her, just like he needs air, not water or food. "I've always cared, and you know it! Why didn't you tell me?"

"What would I say?" Ellie's sounds broken at his ears, and it crushes him. "Oh hey Jughead, by the way I'm taking pills again because everything is so damn much that I can't sleep! Come on, I couldn't tell you!"

"Yes, you could!" Jughead replies, the thought that she didn't come to him weighting. He sighs before continuing, his voice much softer now. "You could've have just told me. I wouldn't have judge you. I thought we were tight, that we trusted each other with everything." Jughead shakes his head, and mumbles. "But clearly we don't, not anymore."

Ellie steps back with his words, that's her person telling her how they don't seem so tight anymore. And it hurts. "Why are you so angry?" Her voice is merely a whisper.

"You don't get it, do you?!"

"Make me understand then." She asks him, and wipes away some tears. "Help me understand."

"You don't trust me, Ellie!" Jughead states, and that's what's really bothering him. "I thought we could come to each other about everything, I mean we used to! And when we... When we went through everything with our mixed feelings, I thought that would break us apart but it didn't, it actually brought us closer, but the truth is I did wonder... What if. But how? How could we have been anything if we can't even be proper best friends? When you don't trust me!"

Ellie stands there, more tears falling and it makes her feel weak. But she can't stop, and she doesn't know what to say to that, she can't even understand what all that means, but whatever it is, it's about way more than just pills.

"You know, I'm gonna go." Jughead wipes away one tear from his right cheek in a discreet movement, that she doesn't notices. He swings the small plastic between his fingers then, and warns her. "And I'm taking this with me, getting rid of it." He walks right by her side, almost reaching the door.