Never The One

NEVER THE ONE

Eleanor felt like she was suffocating. A little more each day. It was like all walls were closing in on her, Betty on one side pressuring her every day with the terrifying feeling of that body being found and Chic on the other one always creeping around the corner.

"My god." She breathed.

"Sorry." Chic shrugged with a smile. "I didn't mean to scare you."

Ellie pulled her bag's strap a little higher on her shoulder. "Whatever."

"Wait." He called out before she could walk out the door. She rolled her eyes but still turned around to face him. "You look pretty."

Eleanor would have smile and thanked him, but not this time. Not after what Chic had done to her family, after what he had done to her by telling Betty and Alice about her third drawer. Chic was here to push her further into that dark place she had been trying to get away from, but she wasn't a quitter, so she would fight back.

"Guess I got the looks huh."

Ellie gave him a yellow smile before closing the front door. Elizabeth was already nowhere to be seen since she woke up, so she had to walk to school alone.

She didn't feel like calling Archie either, not after he had been ignoring all her calls for the past couple of days. She even tried knocking on his door, but it was Fred Andrews who answered every time. He told her he was out somewhere. Ellie had a guess, but part of her didn't want to believe he was with Hiram Lodge out of all people.

Once Eleanor stepped into school ground, she saw Reggie.

She didn't know if she was supposed to smile at him, things didn't end well between the two of them. But it was Reggie who approached her with a caring smile on his face. "Hello there, Ellie cutie."

"Thought I was the Black Swan."

"I guess not without that horrible back leather jacket." Reggie didn't lose the opportunity to throw it at her face, the fact that she was a Serpent. "Even heard you got temporarily casted out. Is that true?"

Eleanor rolled her eyes and passed by him. He didn't let it go and followed her down the hall, so she decided to answer him. "For someone who hates the Southside you sure know a lot."

"Never thought they were capable of casting out their Queen."

She stopped abruptly and turned around to face him. "I'm not their Queen, Reggie."

"Sorry." Reggie raised his hands slightly in the air, her tone had showed him she wasn't very playful these days. He got worried suddenly. "But is everything ok, Ellie?"

"Everything will be." Eleanor shrugged. "See you around, Regs."

It wasn't that she didn't trust Reggie, it was that she didn't think he would understand. How could he, he was the perfect guy. He was smart and good looking. And he always gets what he wants. Well, not everything. Not Eleanor Cooper.

She turned around the corner and walked inside the Student's Lounge, she knew her friends would be there. And she walked in just in time to hear Veronica's very enthusiastic speech about something she didn't quite understand what was.

"What has breathtaking views of the mountains?" Ellie questioned in confusion.

Veronica smiled up at her. "Hi, E. Just in time. I was just talking about my family's Shadow Lake rustic chalet."

"What for?"

"So we can go spend the weekend." The raiven-haired girl stood up and Ellie managed to distinguish her regretful look already. "Look I know things didn't turn out for the best between the two of us at the meeting and... And this might be me trying to make up with you actually."