Chapter 21 - Embracing love instead of fear is but a simple choice

Queen Aelsa greeted Loki and Sigyn personally upon their arrival in Alfheim. Forgoing all propriety, she embraced Sigyn as if she were a long-lost sister returning home and even did the same to Loki, much to his own surprise. He remembered how he had used Aelsa in his scheme to break Sigyn and Thor apart only a few months ago. It was a cruel irony she was his only hope now.

"I've heard of your hardships," said Aelsa sadly. "I am so sorry for it all. Please, stay as long as you like. Take some time to settle in now, and you can join me later for a quiet dinner in the garden."

"Thank you, my Lady." Loki bowed his head in acceptance of her hospitality.

A member of Aelsa's household guided Loki and Sigyn to their chamber (the same one Sigyn had stayed in before). Loki noticed his wife eyeing the servant suspiciously. He sighed. Astrid's betrayal had broken Sigyn's trust in others, even those she already knew in Asgard. There was only one person who Sigyn yet trusted and believed in. He just prayed he was worthy of her.

"When you said we could leave Asgard for a while, this is not what I had in mind," his wife complained when they were alone.

"I know." Loki met her sullen expression. "But I would not have brought you here if I did not think it would benefit you. Aelsa is a capricious woman, but she is a lot like Frigga. She has wisdom only time breeds. And her mother was a fire mage. She can help you. If I recall correctly, asking Aelsa to help you with your flame was your own intent when you first came to Alfheim."

"Unless Aelsa can take away my fire, I have little interest in anything she has to say now."

Loki had to keep himself from not reacting to that. He had to remember what Sigyn last did with her fire. Even if it had been entirely justifiable (Astrid would have met her death anyway, either by his hand or at the end of the executioner's blade), Sigyn still took a life. She crossed the line she never wanted to cross. It was natural for her to feel this way now, which was precisely why Loki had insisted on coming to Alfheim first.
The raven-haired Prince of Asgard sat down on the bed beside his wife and took her hand in his. He moved a bit closer to kiss her cheek.

"We won't stay long, I promise. Just speak with Aelsa and see if she can help you."

"Loki..."

"Please, my heart."

Sigyn sighed and turned her head to face him. She instantly drew back when his eyes locked with hers.

"Oh, no! Don't you dare!"

"What?" Loki asked innocently, moving even closer to her.

"You're doing that thing again with your eyes!"

"I do a thing with my eyes?" Loki replied in pretend surprise and innocence, keeping his gaze on Sigyn's face.

She scoffed and hit his chest.

"Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about, Loki Odinson. You know damn well I cannot say no to you when you look at me like that."

Loki flashed her a mischievous grin.

"Really? Well, then... in that case..."

He lowered himself a little so he could kiss the side of her neck. He let the tip of his tongue trace her skin as he went down to her collarbone. Sigyn's whole body trembled at his touch.

"T-That's not... fair."

Loki wanted nothing more than to push Sigyn down onto the bed and take her when he heard her voice falter in desire for him. It had been too long since that last time. But her body had not yet fully healed from what her brothers had done to her. And Loki would not be the cause of any further pain.
He gave his wife one more kiss just above her bosom before drawing back. The beguiling look she gave him stirred Loki's entire being. He hated that he had to stop when it was obvious they both wanted this more than anything, but it would have to wait. Just a little while longer.