Chapter 38 - Somehow I'll see it through

Neither Loki nor Sigyn slept that night. They fell back to comforting each other, as they'd done every night since being reunited. Apart from a tight squeeze, a gentle caress, and a soft kiss now and then, they lay in absolute stillness. When the sun came up, they lingered a few moments, watching the prism of morning enter their bedroom and finding it oddly fortifying. 
Without uttering a word, the couple then dressed and prepared themselves. Sigyn sat at her vanity and allowed Loki to brush and braid her hair. He'd done this for her before, and as she watched him in the mirror's reflection now, Sigyn couldn't help but wonder if this simple act helped Loki ground himself. 
After he was done, Sigyn helped him don his green cape and golden cuffs, making certain that when he faced the Olympians, they would remember he was the God of Mischief and Odin's heir. If they offered the slightest insult or even tried to harm them, the full might of Asgard would crash against them like an all-consuming tidal wave. 

Loki's titles and family should be sufficient security for us, thought Sigyn, but there may always be someone stupid enough to make an attempt at retaliation for the previous war, despite Hera's promise of safe passage. My fire has returned after all these months of slumbering, but it's nowhere near to full strength yet. Especially since I have to keep a constant flow into the pendants to steady Loki. I will need to rely on illusions and weapons if something occurs. 

"You're worried."

Sigyn blinked as Loki finally broke the silence. He had his head slightly tilted and held an all-knowing gaze in his eyes. Had he heard her thoughts?

"I am," she said, seeing no point in denying it if he had. "Not for myself, but for you."

"Are you concerned about all the Grecians, or just one in particular?" asked Loki.

"Can you blame me for wanting to be cautious around someone you've described as being as much a Trickster as you are?"

"No, not really. But if it eases your concern, I believe Hermes meant it when he said he wouldn't allow anyone to harm us."

"Do you trust him that easily?"

"Not in the slightest. There was just... something about the way he said it."

Sigyn hummed, not really caring for her husband defending the one he claimed broke his heart. She tied the last clasp of Loki's arm cuff and then turned to gather her own cape. Yet as she reached for it, a pair of hands halted her, slipping over her sides to her belly. 

"Hermes means nothing to me, Sigyn," said Loki, pressing himself to her. "He might have once upon a time, but he squandered every chance he had when he betrayed me the way he did. I admit meeting him rattled me, and I can only apologise for breaking down the way I did. But yesterday reminded me it's best I am rid of him. With Hermes, there was only an endless loop of mischief, chicanery, and extremely rough and lustful sex. There was no friendship, no trust or forgiveness, no tenderness or affection, no... no love. In all my life, I've only ever truly loved one. If you're wondering who it is, you need only look in the mirror."

Sigyn slowly raised her head, catching Loki's reflection before her. He smiled weakly at her, and then leaned in to whisper, "I love you, Sigyn. Norns know I don't deserve you. Hermes was no good, and you, I fear, are too good. You have the purest soul I have ever encountered. My greatest fear, besides losing you, is I will corrupt that soul somehow. I won't be able to live with myself if my actions destroy you."

"Don't say things like that." Sigyn spun around in her husband's embrace to hold him. "You speak of me, but you fail to see the beauty and kindness you have in your own soul, Loki. I have become the woman I am thanks to you. My strength is yours. My passion is yours. How can you destroy me when you lift me higher than anyone ever has?"