Chapter 5 - Who'd have ever thought that this could be?

When Frigga saw Thor coming, she rose from her seat near the fountain to take him in a warm, motherly embrace. "My dear boy. It warms my heart to see you have recovered so well."

"I have none to thank but you, mother." Thor bowed his head to kiss his mother's cheek.

"Your brother saved you first. Don't forget that."

Thor rolled his eyes. He was certain his mother wouldn't make him forget, nor would Loki. Speaking of which...

"Where is he?" asked Thor. "I have not seen Loki all day."

"I'm not sure," replied Frigga. "Come to think of it; I haven't seen him since yesterday evening. Perhaps he went out riding again. I wouldn't worry. You know how your brother is."

He did, which was the problem. Thor knew he shouldn't immediately suspect the worst, but where Loki was concerned, one could only do so. Frigga made Thor sit beside her and gently caressed his face as she asked, "What is troubling you, my son?"

"A great many things," he answered with a sigh.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"There is. Yet I fear whatever you reveal may complicate the matter even further."

"If so, I will do all I can to help you."

"Mother," Thor hesitated for a moment, "why did you choose Sigyn to be my bride? Out of, I assume, a hundred other maidens who would gladly stand by my side, why her? Did you see something within her?"

Frigga gave Thor an intent look before she answered him. "I saw a young woman who needed to be freed from the ties that confined her. I saw a loving heart who has never been loved. And I saw a future Queen at the side of a future King. Sigyn has not had an easy life, my boy. She simply needs someone to believe in her. Then she will believe in herself. If your troubles concern her, speak to her about it. You may find her more open to conversation than you think."

Thor considered his mother's words. He had seen the loving heart she spoke of, as well as the care and kindness Sigyn had shown towards the people of Asgard. And he had to admit that he had hardly asked Sigyn about her past in their time together. Perhaps if he had, he would have known what to say and what not to say, and the entire incident at the training grounds could have been avoided. Could it really be this simple? Was talking to his betrothed all he needed to do to find common ground?

"Thank you, Mother." Thor kissed Frigga's cheek again. "You've assured me somewhat. And you are right, I should speak with Sigyn. In fact, I will seek her out now."

He rose and made to leave, but halted when he saw Hogun approaching from the darkness of the arched pathway, his moving shadow dancing with those caused by the setting sun in the Queen's garden. The warrior bowed to mother and son and said, "Lady Sigyn has asked if I could deliver a message to you, Thor. She invites you to a small celebration she has prepared in your honour this evening."

Thor raised his brow. A celebration in his honour? But there was no occasion for it. He looked down at his mother, but she seemed just as surprised as he was.

"She also said that if you declined her invitation, I was to return with Volstagg and Fandrall and 'persuade' you to come," Hogun added with what could be described as a smirk.

Frigga chuckled. "I believe you better go, Thor. We both know Volstagg's 'persuasion' usually leads to a few broken windows and furniture pieces."

Thor nodded and left with Hogun. He asked his friend what he knew of this celebration, but Hogun said nothing else about it, further spiking his curiosity. Was whatever Sigyn had arranged the reason she and Astrid had disappeared into the city early that morrow? If so, then perhaps this was the opportune time for another attempt at reconciliation.
As they neared the main square, Thor's senses got overwhelmed by the sound of music and cheerful laughter, the many smells of different food, and the number of people present. Colourful banners and flags flew from every house, and children yet decorated trees with ribbons. Everyone drank and danced with each other. It seemed like the feast had been going on for quite some time now. Suddenly, a loud booming voice greeted them heartily.