Chapter 36 - In my world, there's no compromise

The Bifrost left them not too far from their former home on Midgard. It seemed like only yesterday that they left, when it was almost a year ago. Nothing had changed. The forest was evergreen, vibrant with life in both fauna and flora. Babbling brooks flowed down, coming together in the inlet below. Though Midgard could not compare to the wonder that was Asgard, Sigyn still found herself lost in the simple beauty and tranquillity of her surroundings. In the distance, she caught sight of the top of the glacier where she and her husband so often found each other in their passion and love. Would the ice cavern still be there? She wondered if Loki would consider going there again. 

The four riders guided their horses along the rough paths, with Loki and Fandrall taking the front and rear, respectively, while Sigyn and Rúna stayed safely in the middle with the pony carrying their belongings. No mortal would dare to travel the perilous roads as it was easy to lose one's footing on the steep slopes and plummet to certain death, their bodies lost forever in sacrifice to nature's cruel grasp. Yet for Asgardian horses, the winding, narrow passages and steep slopes of the fjord were not even a challenge. These animals were used to far cruder paths. They were remarkably light on their feet and knew which way was safe, thus delivering their passengers to their destination just before nightfall.
Sigyn winced as Loki helped her descend from her mare. Pain shot through her sore limbs. She felt as if she'd been on horseback for days on end. Perhaps she should have reconsidered the use of her mirror world. Yet the darkness she encountered during her dream walk was one she dared not confront so soon. What was once a place she frequented so often to find escape and freedom now felt like a crypt of despair that she had to avoid at all costs. And she did not want Loki to be alone with Rúna and Fandrall during their ride. Though both had the best intentions and had proven their loyalty on more than one occasion in the past months, Loki, especially, remained wary of them. But who could blame him for feeling thus after what had happened? 

Loki carefully led Sigyn inside. Everything was as they had left it and as she recreated at the Urdarbrunn. Hand-woven tapestries with the most intricate designs of Norse runes and symbols graced the wooden floor and walls. Pillows were strewn about the salon around the low black aspen table, standing in equal distance to the single settee big enough for two to lie on and the stone hearth that provided some extra warmth during the snow ridden winter nights. The dining room with the ornate candle holders was separated from the salon by a curtain partition, and adjacent to that was the kitchen and pantry. Upstairs was their bedchamber with the enclosed washroom. Not nearly as grand nor lustrous as the one in their apartments, but as they were decorated with the same roses, that did not matter. It was their home - far more than Asgard had ever been. 

"Are you all right?" Loki asked, concerned, as he sat Sigyn down on the settee and took a blanket to cover her. 

"Yes, do not worry yourself for me," she replied. "What of you? How are you feeling?"

"I'm not sure." He sat beside her, elbows on his knees, upper body hunched. "I honestly did not think we would ever come back here. Nor that it would be... under similar circumstances."

Seeing Loki so broken pierced Sigyn's heart. She reached for his arm. He glimpsed back at her touch. A faint smile spread across his handsome yet fatigued face, but only for the briefest moment before averting himself, lips pressed together. Sigyn strained to push herself up, meaning to wrap her arms around him, yet Loki rose to his feet and stepped out of her reach. 

"I must gather wood for the hearth." 

"Let Fandrall do it," said Sigyn. "He and Rúna are already taking care of our belongings, anyway."

"No, it's fine. I can do it. Besides, I must see to extending the lodge so Fandrall and Rúna have room as wells. Can't very well leave them to sleep here, can we?"