Prologue

New Asgard/Tønsberg, Norway - summer 2019

He was gone. The time had come to accept it. Her husband, Loki, God of Mischief, second son of Odin, prince of Asgard and the only man she would ever truly love, was gone. For good. That was what Thanos had said — no resurrection this time. And she believed it. For if Loki had still been alive, he would've returned to her by now.

The past years had been hard on both of them. But the things they said to each other on Sakaar... The last time he made love to her... Even after all these years, neither of them could deny it. Their bond was strong, pure, and everlasting. They had been through so much together. And to have it end the way it had... It was unbearable.

The waves crashed down on the rocks below the high cliffs. If those waves could reunite her with her love, she would close her eyes and let herself fall to the mercy of the sea. She would gladly embrace it. But the water would not kill her. Nor would the rocks. Even if she were to lie down in the grass and will herself to slumber forever, she would not die. Only the strongest magic in the universe could slay her. But the Infinity Stones were gone. As was her only chance to reunite with her husband in the halls of Valhalla, where she was certain he was waiting for her.
And she refused to forsake those few who had survived Ragnarok and Thanos. The remaining Asgardians had just settled down in the high north of Midgard, in the lands where the mortals used to tell tales and legends of them, unaware they were real. Their King had already abandoned them; how could she?

So she would endure her pain and suffering. She would live, prepared to wear the mask of a Queen to hide her agony. For Asgard. For Loki.
And as she remembered with a grieving heart how it all began, the lone widow atop the cliffs made a solemn vow — she would never love again.