Chapter 26 - The sweet fulfilment of their secret longing

Of all the places the Allfather could have summoned him to, the Vault was the last place Loki expected. Asgard's treasury was strictly off-limits. Odin never let anyone in, especially not Loki. There had been the occasional visit with Thor under his father's watchful eye in his childhood, but apart from that, Loki was not permitted anywhere near the room. Being known as the Trickster had that slight disadvantage.
He tried to get in once. Not necessarily to cause mischief (though it was a bonus) but to test his own skills. He should have known the door would not give way so easily. Odin, of course, knew Loki's intent the moment he appeared in the corridor leading to the Vault and had allowed him access, only to awaken the Destroyer once inside. Loki just barely managed to get out unscathed. His father was mildly amused by Loki's failed attempt but also impressed that he escaped the Destroyer.
The Allfather stood waiting for him now as well. His usual stern expression was soft today, almost kind even. Loki did not trust this at all.

"You wanted to see me?" he greeted Odin cautiously.

"Yes, thank you for coming so quickly." The door to the Vault opened. "Please, come in with me. We can speak privately."

Loki followed his father in, keeping what he deemed a safe distance. He didn't believe Odin would ever harm him. Still, the man did have a temper (Thor had to have it from someone, right?) and the fact that he wanted to discuss something away from everything and without Frigga present could only mean that he wanted no interruption nor interference. He watched the Allfather carefully as they descended the steps of the Vault, wondering what he had planned.

"How have you been, Loki? Since returning to Asgard, I mean? You were gone for a long time."

"Euhm... well. Not much has changed in thirty years."

"Hm... and yet, everything has."

Loki cocked his head questioningly when Odin beckoned him to sit down with him. He hesitated a moment, looking to see if the Destroyer was still tucked away before finally sitting beside his father.

"How is Sigyn?"

His father's question caught Loki by surprise. Odin saw Sigyn every day at mealtimes and talked to her plenty of times. He knew perfectly well how she was. 

"Why do you ask?" 

"Can I not inquire how my daughter fares?"

Now, Loki knew something was wrong. Odin had never called Sigyn his daughter aloud before - not once before they left for Midgard and not once since they returned two months ago. Despite the occasional public sign of affection and their conversations at the diner table, Loki knew Odin yet feared Sigyn and what she could do. If he even had the slightest reason for believing Sigyn was a threat, he would act, removing the most important obstacle first. 
Loki shifted a little and prepared himself for the worst, expecting that at any moment, the Destroyer or Heimdall would jump out to contain him while Odin ordered for his wife's arrest or worse. 

"You have nothing to fear, Loki," Odin spoke reassuringly, noting Loki's caution. "I promise you I truly only wish to know how she is. How you both are."

What brought this on? What does he suspect we did now? Did the little wench say something? I knew we shouldn't have trusted that girl! 

"Sigyn is well," said Loki carefully. "She is happy to be with family."

"And we are happy with her," Odin reacted to Loki's answer. 'Apart from being a rare beauty, she is one of the most intelligent and caring persons I have ever encountered. And the people have taken her into their heart."

"As she has them."

The Allfather nodded. 

"She would have made an excellent Queen."