Chapter 37 - I'll look deep into your heart and soul

The tavern was abuzz with people. Travellers spoke to the locals, telling them of all they had witnessed along the way, a mixture of languages resonating throughout the space. The pleasant ambiance perfectly covered the grim purpose of Loki's mission. He joined Fandrall to the back of the room, where the young warrior had procured a private table obscured by a small tree growing out of a barrel. It might have felt out of place to have such an oddity, but it merely added to the warm wooden decor of the interior.
Loki sat beside his companion, wanting to keep a clear view of the door. He did not sense Hermes' presence among the patrons yet, and did not care to be taken by surprise. If Loki knew Hermes — and he did — this would be far more than a mere conversation and setting of terms.  

"Here you go, gentlemen." A buxom, petite maid with pinned-up curly brown hair appeared at their table, setting drinks in front of them. 

Loki rolled his eyes when Fandrall thanked the girl with an inviting wink, making her blush furiously. 

"Do me a favour and focus on the mission, not on your next conquest," he said after she scurried away, not bothering to hide his annoyance. 

"I cannot help I have this effect on women," retorted Fandrall with a smirk. "Besides, you were the one who said we had to mix in with the locals."

"Mix in, not mix with." Loki threw him a scolding glare. "And while we're on the topic, take care of what you say and do around Rúna. I do not want her to get the wrong impression if you don't mean to pursue a serious relationship with her."

"Rúna?" Fandrall raised a brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Sigyn believes there is something growing between you two, and even though I hate to admit it, I can see why she would think this."

"That is preposterous. I have done nothing to warrant —"

"Haven't you? You indulge Rúna whenever she seeks your company. She wants your affection, finding solace in your arms when something happens, and you have not turned her away once. You just admitted to having an effect on women, so is it truly so hard to believe Rúna is like all the others and has fallen for your charms? I'll only warn you this once, Fandrall. If your intentions towards her are strictly as friends, in Odin's name, tell her now before it's too late. Better she makes no illusions about anything happening between you two than getting her hopes and dreams crushed when she sees you with another."

Fandrall stared at Loki, mouth agape, baffled at his words. It might have been crude, but Loki had to set matters straight right from the start. Sigyn doted on her handmaiden, and if anyone dared to hurt Rúna, she would make that person suffer. Fandrall being her champion would make little difference to that. 

"I... never would have guessed that you of all people would say such things to me," the blond warrior finally said. "Or that you even cared about Rúna in such a way."

"Don't look too much into it," said Loki. "She's an impressionable girl and I cannot allow anyone to take advantage of her. I took her on as my ward, therefore I am responsible for her safety and wellbeing. And she's dear to Sigyn. If anything were to happen to Rúna, there's no telling what she would do."

Fandrall slowly nodded in understanding. He lowered his head, turning his stein of ale in his hands. Loki turned away from him to look at the entrance of the tavern. Still no sign of Hermes. It was ironic that a speedster such as him would be late for a meeting. Being this tardy was unlike him and even further cause for Loki to be wary of his surroundings. 

"You're right."

Fandrall's voice pulled Loki out of his musings. He faced Thor's friend again, seeing a quaint calm over his fair features.