Chapter 34 - I'll be with you when you dream

A/N The italic part represent Sigyn and Loki's dream

The shimmering white moon above was the only light illuminating Thor's way as he came upon the stone circle where he was to find the entrance to Folkvang. A fog rose from the nearby lake. Its sepulchral arms cloaked the brave son of Odin, causing a shiver to run up his spine. He wished he hadn't left his cape with Sif, but at least she would be warm. One less reason for her to kill him when she awoke. 
Thor descended from his horse. Habit moved him to secure the reins to a low-hanging branch, but if he was successful... he would have no need of that horse ever again. He patted its neck and left the stallion grazing, continuing the winding path to the stones on foot. 
Though he had never been there before, Thor had heard enough from his parents to know it was a place even the most powerful and bravest of beings wouldn't consider going. Not unless they had nothing left to lose.  

He treaded cautiously upon the moss-covered slope, the frost on top crunching underneath his boots. The stories Frigga and Odin told him only spoke of a gatekeeper appearing when summoned, but there could still be other creatures lurking in the mist. His eyes roamed over the stones, searching for the falcon effigy. Absentmindedly, he touched the cuff on his wrist, wanting to draw his dagger. Then he remembered he hadn't brought any weapons with him. Perhaps he should have, but Thor had not wanted to risk Freya believing he came with the intention to force her to help him. Every rumour, every story, and even those few times he met the Goddess confirmed one thing - if anyone dared provoke her, it would be the last thing they ever did. 

When Thor's fingers stroked over the bronze cuff again, he halted over the symbol etched into it. He looked down at the engraving of Mjölnir and pressed his lips together. Sigyn had done everything in her power to mend the bond between them after their quite explosive fight at the training ground, gifting him the cuff during a feast in his honour. He hadn't taken it off once since. It was his strength. And a constant reminder of the only woman who had ever managed to capture his heart... and then chose his brother over him. 
Part of him hated her for that. The same part that hated Loki so very much for taking Sigyn from him. But the jealousy and hurt did not outweigh the love he bore them both. Had Thor not witnessed the state of them when they were forcefully separated after being caught in Frigga's garden thirty years ago, he would never have schemed to bring them together. He would never have allowed Sigyn to marry Loki. But to this day, it was so clear that Loki Odinson was the only man she would ever truly hold in her heart.  

Yet, in spite of that, Thor held off from accepting any marriage candidates his mother offered. Because he wanted to be there for her in case Loki was stripped from her arms, be it from a disease, an accident, a war, or even the Trickster's own undoing. Even if she would never love him the way she did Loki, Thor was determined to remain as close to Sigyn as possible for every second of every day and to wait until she saw that he, too, loved her beyond measure. 
But she would never turn to him again, now that he was the cause of such pain and suffering. The bond that had been so carefully mended in the past was broken without any hope of repair. Forever.
This was the only thing he could do. 

Thor took a deep breath and tore his eyes away from the cuff. The mist dissipated somewhat as if to allow him to see more clearly. A moonbeam caught the gravelled surface of the stone in front of him, casting it in a mystifying glow.
Upon noting a drawing of a falcon, Thor threw all caution to the wind and ran toward the stone. He looked it over closely but saw no other markings. No symbols or words that gave any instruction on what to do once the gatekeeper was summoned. 
He paused a moment. His mind screamed at him to think this through. What if this was a trap? What if, in trying to help, he would only make matters worse? His actions had already caused such grief. Could he really take the risk?
The weight of the cuff on his wrist made Thor glance down. His fist clenched. There was no question - Sigyn was worth every risk as was Loki.