Chapter 1 | The Beginning

This book is currently being edited, the rewritten chapters are also on my profile page! The new chapters are longer and more detailed, though as of March 25th, 2023, there are only a couple chapters posted.

Constance

"This is dangerous but worth it. If I get caught, I'm so dead." I mumble to myself as I take off into the woods. Trees surround me as I pull out a phone, looking up how to get to town. 

"I cannot believe that father was going to marry me off to some fucking thug!" Huffing, I continue walking to the city. Spokane is so far away from my house. My dad prefers places farther away from cities and towns.

The bright lights find their way into my vision. I made it. Walking fast, I look for abandoned places for me to stay. It's a lot easier than trying to break into a modern home. A gloomy and broken down building pops up, and a smile forms on my face. I pad my way to a hole in the wall and use a pit in the floor to cradle me to sleep.

————

A ray of light glares into my eyes, interrupting my sleep. I roll over and look up to what would be the ceiling. Instead, I find a man. His face is pink, almost red, and a beard decorates his chin. A scream protrudes from my lungs.

My left fist flings out and slams into his nose, erupting a crack. The man falls back on his behind, and I stumble off, finding my way to a bus stop. I flop down onto the seat, waiting for it to come rolling down the road. Darkness seeps into my vision, and a screech chases it off.

"How much to get me to Seattle?"

After three bus rides and 100 bucks out of my pocket, I make it to Seattle. The large buildings tower over me, and people cover every inch of the sidewalk. Smiling to myself and my freedom, I start walking.

"Where should I go now?" I question myself. A shop to my left catches my eye. It's purple. Cute. I slowly make my way there, getting distracted by everything around me.

The walkways are white with purple decorations, and the floor is a light purple carpet. The first half of it is cute and meant for kids, but when you pass through the door in the middle of the wall in the back, it gets darker. There's some black, and the purple is darker.

The cashier smiles at me and goes back to her conversation. This half has hardly any connection to kids. I find my way to the skirts and dresses. The rack is full of eye-catching options, but I select only a few. The first dress is purple and white. It has lace fluff at the bottom and hangs from my shoulders with two straps. The second is green and blue. Little butterflies are in a stopped dance on the front.    

My favorite skirt that I picked out is the short, plaid pink one, and I got a few others that are different colors.

Next, I float over to the shoes. I'm short, so I always love platforms. Picking out a few that go to my knees, I finish up there and find my way to the socks and undergarments. Out of all the options portrayed, I pick three sets of thigh highs and six sets of panties. Only a couple more things to go! Shirts are always the hardest to pick, so I chose a few crop tops and over-sized hoodies, deciding to come back for more later. Last but certainly not least, I go for the bags. Excitedly, I pick out an IT backpack that would be able to hold all my stuff, and I flutter over to the counter.

Pausing, I notice that there's a new man there. He's strikingly handsome. He's way taller than me and has short black hair. He looks at me and smiles, backing away from the counter so that I can pay for my stuff.

"Hi, there, sweetheart! Is this all for today?" The cashier grins and starts scanning my stuff.

"A pack of pall malls 100s, please," I mumble shyly.

"ID?" She looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Here you go," I reach into my wallet and hand it over, fake of course. You're supposed to be 21+ to buy cigarettes, and I'm only 19. The lady doesn't need to know that, though, since the ID says I'm 22.

"Mkay," She says, handing it back after checking it out. I pay for everything, about to walk away when she nods to someone behind me, I'm assuming the man. I turn to look, but I get met with a sting and darkness.

Ace

"Hey, I found someone you might like," Kaitlyn whispers over the phone.

"Really?" I ask, surprised. I've been looking for two years, but every time I find the "right" girl, it's terrible.

"Yes, you'll love her. Come to the shop, hurry!" Kaitlyn hangs up, and I sigh, throwing my shoes on. On my way out the front door, I motion to Noah to get in the car. He opens the back door for me and then gets in the driver's seat.

"Where to, sir?" He queries, peering up at me through the mirror.

"Kaitlyn's shop." I huff. He takes off, getting me there in five minutes.  Again, he opens the door for me. I stand and straighten my suit, walking towards the doors to the shop and passing through the kids' section.

"Well?" I growl at Kaitlyn, seeing no one.

"She's over there," She smiles, pointing in the back left corner. I lean back and look, gaping at what I see.

The most beautiful girl stands there. She's short, the clothing rack is taller than her, and long, red-orange braided hair falls from her shoulders. Drawn into her skin on her neck, and her bare shoulder shows a rose. Lying wait under her fluttering skirt is two thigh tattoos of anime characters and beside her hip lays a bag that hangs from her opposite shoulder. Circling her emerald green eyes is a pair of round glasses.

"Adorable," I whisper. Looking at Kaitlyn, I smile. "Too bad, she's the daughter of the biggest Italian mafia."

"So? She has a leaf in her hair and dirt on her knees! Clearly, she ran away. Vulnerable and easy to have," Kaitlyn encourages. She isn't wrong, I could take her and no one would know.

"Fine, okay. Just tell me when,"

"Perfect!" she giggles.

-

Here's chapter one! I hope you enjoyed :) 1065 words.