Chapter 19 | Independent

Constance

"No, dad!" I scream as I run away. My father stands at the stairs to the front door and watches as dogs chase me.

A gun glints in his hand and I screech as gunshots can be heard.

The grass where my foot just was, scatters into the air and a hole sits there.

Tears stream down my face as I look for a way out.

"Back!" I yell, one of the dogs getting too close to me.

I look back at the house, people stand watching in the windows, I can almost hear their laughter.

A blood curling scream rings out in the yard, though it takes a few moments for me to realize it's my own.

I turn my head and see a dog latched onto my hip.

Releasing a sob, I let myself fall to the ground and the dogs sit around me, growling.

"You should've listened to me, hun," my father chuckles.

"I don't want to marry him, dad. I don't want to be here with you anymore, I'd rather die," I cry out.

"You'll do what I say, then you'll die. That's all you're good for, you would've lived. You could've been happy, but then you ran away. I'll find you, I swear that I will, and you'll regret the day you thought of leaving me," he growls, taking my hair in his hand and yanking me up.

"No!" I scream and kick at him, trying to get away. "Let me go!"

His manic laughter fills my ears and he slaps me.

A scream wakes me up and I realize it's mine. Noah stands over me, shaking me like crazy.

"Con! You need to get up, you're okay!" He says.

I wrap my arms around myself and look around frantically.

The person I'm looking for isn't here, and that makes it ten times worse.

A sob wracks my body and I put my face to my knees and curl into a ball.

Noah reaches out to touch me and I coil away, screaming.

"Okay! I won't touch you, please calm down!" He pleads.

I grab a pillow and hug it to my body, then I do the same with a blanket and I keep on crying.

"Can I get you anything?" He asks, worry in his eyes.

"Ace," I whimper.

Noah's eyes fill with understanding and he sends me a smile. "I'll call him, okay?"

He turns and walks into the bathroom, and soon I hear him talking quietly.

Tears continue to stream down my cheeks and I hug the pillow tighter.

Noticing my paci a couple feet away from me, nearly falling off the bed, I crawl to it and stick it in my mouth.

The bathroom door opens and Noah looks at me.

"He'll be here soon," he reassures me.

I nod and turn away, looking towards the door that leads out the hallway.

The door opening takes my attention and I open my eyes.

Ace stands in the doorway, looking disheveled and worried.

I whimper and reach out to him.

He rushes forward and holds me to him.

"Are you okay?" He asks, checking me over and making sure I'm not hurt.