Chapter 21 | Happy

Constance

I feel my body lifted up and slightly bounced.

Where am I?

My body is sore, including my throat.

I slowly open my eyes and I see a man with slight stubble on his chin.

He looks down and smiles sadly at me.

"Hey, sweetie. We're almost to the room, you can have ice cream and a nice bath, okay?" He says.

I open my mouth to talk but a raspy sound comes out and I whimper.

"I know, I'm sorry. The ice cream will help your throat," he says.

Looking over, I notice Noah checking the hallway before we step out of the elevator. He seems satisfied and motions to Ace that it's alright.

I snuggle softly into Ace, just wanting to fall back asleep soon. 

What happened?

I feel my body jolt as what happened floods my brain, my dad.. he found me. 

Fear grips my body, its hands wrapping tight, covering my eyes, stopping my breathing. 

What did I think was going to happen? That I'd be able to stay with Ace forever and that my dad would just disappear? 

I'm so stupid. 

---

Ace

I can't believe how fucking stupid that asshole is. Did he really think that calling her father on me was going to do shit to me? 

The only goddamn thing it did is freak her out. 

That really pisses me off. 

I would love to go take care of his ass, but I know that Constance needs me right now and I can't leave her. 

Noah leads the way to the room and I slowly follow behind, trying to not disturb Constance. 

I promised her ice cream and a bath so I really hope that it helps her. 

I walk in the door and watch as Noah shuts it behind me, he followed me in. 

Giving him a 'give me a minute' gesture, I sit Constance on the bed and lead him out to the hallway. 

I stay quiet for a second, trying to gather my thoughts and not take out my anger on him. 

"Can I take care of it?" Noah asks, I look up to him. 

His face is full of unbridled rage, his eyebrows furrowed and his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. 

"Yes, don't kill him. I want to finish him off," I say. I watch him turn and stalk his way to the elevator, putting his phone to his ear and speaking into it. 

I sigh and lean against the closed door, rubbing my hands over my face. 

"I don't know what I'm going to do, I have no idea how to help her," I mumble to myself. 

I hear her groan from in the room and I rush in, hoping that nothing happened. 

"No, no.. Leave me alone, please.." I hear her mumble in her sleep. 

Guilt colors my face. 

It's my fault that she's going through this, I didn't protect her. 

I try to rush as I run the bath, throwing in some bubbles and toys. 

I just want to try and relax her, not stress her out. 

Walking over to the bed, I notice that she's now quiet. 

Her thumb is stuck in her mouth and she's sucking on it, tears silently falling down her rosy cheeks as she sleeps. I notice the yellow that had seeped out from under her and I remember that she hadn't worn a diaper this morning. 

"Baby, it's time for your bath, okay?" I quietly say, rubbing my thumb on her cheek to try and wake her up. 

"Mm, go way.." she mumbles through her thumb and rolls around. 

"Come on, you'll like it, I promise. It's got all your toys and it has pink bubbles," I say, trying to convince her to not fight me over this. 

I watch as she turns slightly, her eyes opening a little as she looks at me. 

She squints at me and then looks at the bathroom doorway. "Yous pomise?" 

Her eyes are wide and sweet, rimmed with a soft red and I smile. 

"Yes, sweetie. I promise," I chuckle. 

She grins and sits up, motioning with her grabby hands for me to pick her up. 

I reach forward to grab her but she falls back, stopping me from reaching her. 

"Oh, really? That's how we're going to play?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at her. 

She giggles and rolls over, trying to crawl away. 

"Where do you think you're going?" I question jokingly, then I reach over and grab her, lifting her into the air. 

She giggles and squeals. "Put m donn!" 

"But I thought you wanted to play?" I fake a pout and she looks at me with her big, emerald eyes again. 

I take her speechlessness to an advantage and I throw her softly on the bed and attack her with tickles. 

She screams and laughs, softly trying to push me away until she gives up, flopping back down. 

"Is giv up," she giggles. 

"Ready for bath?" I ask, pulling her up. 

"Mhms!" she smiles. 

I really hope this happiness lasts. 

----

Hey! Short chapter, I know. I'm just trying to get back into the rhythm of writing this story again.

I really hope you enjoyed it, keep an eye out for more updates!