Chapter 20 | Goodbye

This book is currently being edited, the rewritten chapters are also on my profile page! The new chapters are longer and more detailed, though as of March 25th, there are only a couple chapters posted.

!WARNING! VIOLENCE
Ace

"Welcome!" Says the woman behind the counter.

"Hi," I say. I open my mouth to speak but Constance beats me to it.

"We're your boss' 9 a.m.," she says sweetly.

"Alrighty! It will be about 10 minutes since he's working on something, but you can go in as soon as he's done!" The receptionist smiles.

"I appreciate it," I grin forcefully and pull Constance out into the hallway.

"Uhm, excuse me?" She squeaks, pulling away from me and crossing her arms.

"Why do you have attitude today? I don't want to deal with it," I ask her, mocking her crossed arms.

"I don't have attitude," she huffs and faces away from me.

"Yes, you do," I say and pull her to face me again.

She looks me in the eyes and leans close. We pause for a second and my eyes linger on her lips slightly.

"No, I don't," she grumbles and pulls away, heading back into the room where the receptionist sits.

"He's ready for you," I hear her call out.

I sigh and rub my forehead.

A bratty little makes for a shitty day.

Straightening out my shirt, I walk into the room and look at Constance, who is shaking the hand of the man we're here to see.

"Ace," he turns to me and grins. "This is an absolutely adorable one you've got here! Congratulations!"

He grabs his belly as his laughter bellows out through the room.

A low glare settles on my face. "Can we just get this meeting over with, Jason?"

"Of course, of course, come in," he laughs.

Constance doesn't hesitate to follow him in and I frustratingly follow behind.

With a smile, Jason sits in his seat and motions to the two chairs in front of his desk.

"As I said over the phone, we can't ship the packages. Nothing you say today will change that," Jason says.

"Why can't you ship them?" Constance asks.

Jason grins and turns his attention to her. "Someone is refusing to let us to continue using their port unless we stop selling for you."

Constance goes to talk but I wrap a hand around her thigh harshly, her mouth snaps shut.

"Are you going to tell me who?" I raise an eyebrow.

"No." Jason responds.

My eyes lower and I stare at him. "Why?"

"I can't tell you that," he sighs.

I stand and turn to the little girl to my left.

"Let's go, we're leaving." I say to her.

"Why? We don't have what we need," she questions.

"I know sweetie, but we can't hurt him, he's very important and it would jeopardize a lot of things," I explain. "Come, now."

She stands and follows me out of the room.