28 - Warm Milk.

EIGHT MONTHS EARLIER

The snide laughter. The smell of stale beer. The sweaty body clinging to her. The gurgled sounds. The chocking.

No! Don't touch me!

Help!

Somebody help!

The scream died in Sarah's throat as she opened her eyes, panting heavily. Her face and body were drenched in sweat. Tears was in her eyes and had blurred her vision. She blinked rapidly and she saw that Devlin was beside her. He'd probably been trying to wake her. He looked concerned.

"Devlin." She whispered and without saying a word, he reached for her and she hugged him. He rubbed her back as she cried softly.

"The nightmares again?"

She nodded against his chest. "Ever since Dad reopened the case."

He drew back and used his thumb to wipe her eyes. "Well good news. Those fuckers will die and suffer painfully. I will cut off each and everyone's dicks and stuff it into their mouths while we watch them bleed to death."

"Fucking hell, Devlin!" Sarah cursed and stood. She wiped her face angrily. "You don't get it do you? You and Dad, so bent on revenge and justice to see that the damage has already been done! I will always be that twenty year old in college who was gang raped at a Halloween party. Nothing can salvage that. Nothing can bring back my dignity, not even..." she waved her hand, trying to find the word. "Dismemberment."

He looked at her, mouth slightly parted in surprise out her outburst. Then he nodded. "Okay, then. Death by firing it is. I'll shoot them."

"Devlin!"

"One shot. One clean shot. They won't even feel any pain. One second they'll be here and the next, they'll be playing poker with the Devil."

She heaved a long sigh. "I'm serious. This revenge you both are on for me will not change anything."

Devlin came to stand beside her. "Maybe not, but it'll surely help Art forgive himself."

Silence passed between them but they knew what was on each other's minds: how much Art was punishing himself for her rape. It made Sarah feel guilty. Most times, she wished she hadn't been raped, not because of herself but because of her dad.

"He's still beating himself up over letting seven years pass without justice being served to those bastards. This will help him forgive himself."

She sighed. "You're right. More than anything, I wish that for him. Peace."

The door opened and Art entered wearing only briefs. He looked ridiculously cute, with his big tummy and hairy chest. It had a sprinkle of grey. It made her endeared to him the more. He was not the tough-as-a-nail detective whom everyone feared. He was her dad and he was getting old, faster than she could keep up with.

"Is everything alright? I heard voices."

"It's nothing, Dad, go back to --"

"She had nightmares."

"Why thank you, Devlin." She snapped.

"I'll prepare warm milk. It'll help you relax."

"Dad, really I'm fine."

He placed one hand on the door handle. "Please, girl. Let me take care of my kid while I can. I could die tomorrow."

"You've been saying that for the past twenty years and yet here you still are. Too stubborn to die." They all laughed.