17 - The Reunion.

You could set your alarm by Fiona Romanov.

She got up by five a.m. every morning and went about her duties of managing the Campbell household. She made a special herbal tea which her boss preferred and coffee for the rest at exactly six o'clock and by seven, breakfast was ready.

She inspected the work of the cleaners, pointed out every spec of dust and every pinch of sand. She made sure the gardener arrives on time twice a week and the laundryman leaves no dirty clothes in the hamper. Actually, her job with the laundry man went beyond dirty clothes, she made sure she reminded him to separate certain clothes and use certain detergents or soaps for the right clothes. It was her duty to make sure the Campbell household went about their days uninterrupted.

For instance, the boss, Vivian Campbell gets up by seven and expects her herbal tea which she claims provides anti-aging supplements would be ready and steaming. Then she expects her bath to be drawn and her outfit for the day set out. Then, she would expect breakfast to be served. It was mandatory that it happened. Any interruption was frowned at and unwelcome, and even if she could never get scolded, Fiona hated them still.

But today was different from Fiona's usual days. Today, there was going to be an engagement party and it was being hosted in the garden. It was up to her to make sure the event was a success, so despite sleeping late the previous night due to preparations for the party, Fiona got up at four and continued the preparations for the reception which was slated for the evening.

By the time the sun was high up in the sky, she had done most of the work. Now, as she crossed the sky lit foyer to answer the door bell, she yawned. She was tired already and the day just began.

"Fiona!"

Fiona laughed excitedly and hugged the youngest Campbell child who was standing at the other side of the door. "Welcome madam Linda! How was your flight?"

"Not easy when you're totting a toddler." The dark haired woman turned and said, "Hurry, honey!"

Fiona tried to hide her surprise but couldn't, so when Linda caught her with her mouth hanging open in surprise, she laughed.

"You're right, Fiona. I had a baby. And this," She held the arms of a tall young man who was carrying a very fair and chubby child. "is my husband."

A glass shattered behind them and they all turned to see what happened. It was Vivian who had let a China fall from her hand. And a very expensive one, too. It was such a shame.

Face very pale, Vivian walked forward stiffly, shock contouring her features. "Did I just hear you say that this man," she looked at the thin, young man from head to foot. "is your husband?"

Linda pushed her way in and stood toe-to-toe with her mother. "We haven't seen each other for what, three years and that's the first thing you ask me? What happened to "How have you been? How is your health? How did you feel giving birth surrounded with zero family members?!" "

Vivian took a long deep breath and asked again, "Who is the father of your child? This man?"

Linda raised her chin. "Yes, mother. This is my husband." She nudged him. "Say hi to Mom."

The man who had been clutching the baby like he was brandishing a weapon stretched a shaky hand towards Vivian. "Hello, Mom."

Vivian took in several deep breaths, turned and left the room. Her footsteps on the stairs sounded like a whip. Feeling bad for the lovers, Fiona smiled and asked them to sit.

Could she blame Vivian though? The young man looked like someone they would use in an AIDS advert. He was very thin, he had dreadlocks and tattoo was on every inch of visible skin, so the young man was prone to getting judged by his looks. But she knew better than to do the same to him.