29 - Choose My Baby.

"Devlin!"

The desperate calling of his name came from a distance. It felt like he was in a tunnel and someone was at its end, frantically calling for him. It came again and again and this time he was able to swim from the grip of unconsciousness to the surface.

He bolted to an upright position and listened. He glanced to his side and saw that Pamela was still asleep. Was it a dream? He asked himself and the answer came the next second as he heard his name again and this time, it was accompanied by the pounding on the door. Pamela woke with a start and gave him a worried glance. Devlin's quick eyes scanned the room for his gun. He and Pamela stood from the bed.

"Who is it?" He asked cautiously.

"It's Sarah, open up!"

Relief washed over him but it was soon replaced by annoyance when he glanced at the clock. What did she want at this time of night?

He marched angrily towards the door and yanked it open, almost removing it from its hinges. "What do you want?" He asked, ready to kill her then his anger melted into fear. "Is-is the baby coming already?"

She scoffed. "I wish. I'm so sick of looking like a balloon."

He let his breath escape in relief. "Is something wrong with the baby then?"

"No. It's me that something is wrong with. My back hurts. I need someone to massage it for me." Then she turned and walked away.

Devlin balled his fists. "She had no right."

Pamela chuckled dryly as she picked a sweater and wore it over her pajamas. "You brought this upon yourself."

Devlin followed her. "Don't, Pamela."

She stopped and turned. "What? Don't what?"

"I know you're mad at me."

"I'm not. I'm indifferent. But to that child, I am accepting with my whole heart. So we better go make her comfortable, you don't want anything happening to the child do you?"

Sarah was in the kitchen, making noise as she went through the cabinet.

"What do you need? I'll get it for you." Pamela offered.

She turned and smiled sweetly. "You're very kind, ma'am."

"Please, call me Pamela." Pamela said, smiling back. "What are you searching for?"

"Jam."

Pamela stopped. "Jam?"

"Yes. Hot pepper jam. I want to eat it with bread. That's all I crave right now," then she glanced at Devlin. "And the back massage too, please? Thank you." She took a kitchen stool and gingerly sat, one hand holding the chair and the other propped on her belly. When neither Pamela nor Devlin made a move, she asked, dividing a look between both of them. "What?"

"I don't know if we have hot pepper jam. I haven't lived here long and I do not handle the kitchen but I can help you check."

"You are very kind."

As Pamela started for the cabinets, Devlin took her arm. "You don't have to do this."

She yanked it free. "Do what?"

"Play nice. Answer to her every whim."

"I have to, Devlin. Remember, she's carrying your child. And I'm not playing nice. I'm trying to be nice for your sake. Don't upset me."

Devlin sighed and looked at Sarah who was watching him with quirky humor. "What now?"

"Your turn."