Chapter Twenty-Two: Open Your Eyes

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY
fragments || five hargreeves x reader

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: OPEN YOUR EYES

Written By: peachyhxlland

°•.☆.•°

You got inside the car as you sighed happily. "So you just wanted to watch the sunrise together? In a place where we're too far from Dallas?"

Nico nodded. "Well, I love this place. I come here sometimes and you guys don't even know it. Why? You don't like it?"

"I'm more of a night person." You admitted. "I love staring at the stars and the moon. Makes you feel comfort."

Nico smiled as he started turning on the engine. You took the baseball cap off your head. "What about Lenora?"

Nico paused and turned to you. "Hmm?"

"Is she a morning person or a night person?"

"Morning person. She loves going to the cemetery every day to visit her mama and I was always there to drive her there or pick her up. She would read the bible to her mama, hoping she would hear her."

"So you're family's religious?"

"Yeah." Nico nodded. "Grandma's religious, Daddy's was kind of obsessed with it and even killed my dog, Jack."

You frowned. "Well, that's awful."

"He thinks if he made a sacrifice, it would cure my mother who was ill."

"What sickness was it?"

"Cancer."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Nico said as he patted your head. "I've learned how to move one from the past. With the help of you and Elliott."

"What did we do?"

"Well, you two became my second family. At least for a few months, we shared some fun times together. Moments that I will cherish forever."

You gave Nico a hug. "I really am going to miss you, you big doofus."

"I'm going to miss you too." Nico chuckled as he hugged you back. "But I'm going to take my cap back please."

You chuckled and gave the baseball cap back to him. "Should we head home?"

The young man nodded. "Sure. Let's go eat something at least. Hopefully, Elliott cooked something nice."

"I swear to God if he made that moldy food again I'm leaving." You joked out earning a laugh from Nico.

It was just a few minutes since Nico started driving but you, unaware of what was happening with your siblings even Elliott's death, looked at Nico's watch on his wrist as he drives. Your hands were sweating, you were mindlessly playing with your thumbs nervously, your heart was racing. It felt like something was happening, or about to happen.

Or maybe something happened.

You shakily took a deep breath. "N-Nico, would you, um, drive a little bit faster?"

Nico glanced at you and stayed focus on the road. "Sure. You okay?"

"Just have a really bad feeling. I'm worried."

"About what?"

"I-I don't know j-just.... drive."

Nico nodded and drove a little bit faster to get home. He held your hand with his other hand. "You have nothing to worry about. Everything's fine."