Chapter Nine

Ebony;

I watched as my mom just stared at both of us, Honey making a clear distance between us.

"Ebony! Ki moun sa?!" Mom shouted, causing both of us to jump.

(Ebony, who is this?!"

"Mommy, she's my friend from school. What are you doing home so early?" I asked as I ran over to her to grab her bags, she took a step back, shaking her head.

"You stay right there! No friend hugs like that, Ebony Jean! I am not stupid!" My mom's accent was thick and heavy as she yelled, her angry eyes bouncing from me to Honey who just stood there in shock.

"Mama, li jis yon zanmi! I was crying and she was helping me!" I yelled back.

"Oh oh! And you yell at me?! I take care of you and you yell at me?! I left you responsible for the house and you bring some faggot into my house?!" Mom screamed. I flinched, hearing Honey take in a sharp breath.

"I'm sorry. She was helping me with my homework and started to cry about stress."

"Eh, no! Don't speak. I'm not stupid! Dique friend?! Friend right?! Then who's shoes are those?! Ebony doesn't wear that!" She yelled as she pointed to the shoe rack. Both Honey and I's shoes were lined up neatly the shelf next to our book bags. All of her shoes were designer, while my vans and slip ons sat next to hers.

Fuck. Fuck what can I say?!

"Mama! She needed a place to stay, her mom kicked her out because of something personal so I helped her. Please mama!" I sobbed. Mom shook her head, storming to the shelf and kicking the shoes off.

"Out! Now! Both of you! I don't condone this, Ebony! I don't care! I didn't like it with your father, and I will not like it with you!"

I blinked rapidly, taken aback at her sharp words as I shot her a look.

"What?! What does daddy have to do with this?!" I hissed. She looked at me in shock.

"Do not speak to me like that!"

"No! Tell me! You mentioned him, so what about him?!"

"EBONY! GO TO YOUR ROOM, PACK UP BOTH OF YOUR THINGS AND LEAVE! NOW! I DO NOT WANT THIS IN MY HOUSE!" Mom screamed at the top of my lungs.

I was sobbing at this point, trying to get my mom to listen but she just dismissed me, mumbling in creole about her God-fearing daughter turning into a faggot by a lust-driven demon. Saying that she could see the evil in her eyes.

Honey and I were now in my room as I cried into my pillow. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I knew this was wrong but I still entertained it. I let her in and now my whole world is ruined. At school, and now at home.

"Hey, hey it's okay. The same way you took care of me, I'll take care of you too." Honey breathed, touching my face but I flinched away.

"I think it's best if you go." I whispered, staring down at my pillow. She stayed silent and I looked up her and nearly broke at the look of hurt that was plastered on her face.

"Mama, don't be like that. Please, you're all I've got and I got you. You don't deserve this." She whispered harshly. I shook my head, pushing her off the bed.

"I knew this was going to happen! If only you've just left me alone like I asked you from the beginning! Get out!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Honey's face went blank and I just watched as she broke into pieces in front of me. She didn't show it, but her hands were shaking and her breathing was ragged as she stood from the ground and grabbed her duffle back.