Chapter Eleven

Honey;

Days passed since Ebony started living with me at my dads house. I was worried about her because she wasn't sleeping as much. I would wake up in the middle of the night to her sitting outside and staring up at the stars with tear streaks on her face.

I know how she felt. Being abandoned and neglected by your own family and even peers for just being you is hard to live with. It hurts knowing that the person you see in the mirror is the cause for all of this turmoil.

But the day you realize that that person in the mirror is who you are supposed to cherish the most, everything changes.

And Ebony is the one that taught me that. I've been going to school with my curly hair and big green eyes, my face clear of makeup and she's been by my side. Though, she wasn't the same vibrant Ebony that I first met.

She was harder, now. Cold, even. She didn't talk as much as she used to, and any little thing makes her angry.

And I mean angry.

We were now sitting in the cafeteria at the table we've claimed. It was just us two now. After that fight I had, none of my 'friends' come around anymore. But I was perfectly fine with that.

They weren't my real friends anyway.

I watched as Ebony ate her salad as she scrolled through her phone. She was quiet as she's usually been. I can't really ask her how her day was because I'm always with her.

This shit was frustrating. We don't have meaningless conversations anymore about the world or whatever random topic that was on her mind. She didn't ask me to taste her food anymore or dance with me to her favorite Haitian music.

She was just a shell.

"Baby, I was going to say maybe we can check out some apartments after school." I breathed lowly so only she could hear. Ebony looked up at me before looking back at her phone.

"That's fine." She responded curtly. I furrowed my brows but before I could respond, someone bumped into the table, the sticky liquid from their tray spilling onto my hair and clothes.

I gasped as the cold milk slid down my back, soaking my shirt and I stood abruptly as Taylor and her friends laughed.

Before I could do anything, Ebony stood up and threw her salad off her tray, before taking the tray and smacking Taylor across the face with it with a loud impact, causing everyone to look our way as Taylor dropped to the floor.

"Stop being such a conniving bítch!" Ebony yelled, the anger evident in her voice as she stared down at a red-faced Taylor who stared up at her in shock, the blood running down her face from her nose.

The entire lunch room was quiet as everyone stared at Ebony, including myself. She dropped the tray as the guidance counselor called her name and grabbed her things, stomping out of the lunchroom without looking back.

Holy shit.

Ebony;

"What..was that?" Mrs. Jackson asked as we sat in her office. She stared at me with a look of concern and I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"What? You're concerned about me?" I spat, glaring down at the name tag that sat in front of her crossed fingers. She sighed and tapped the desk.

"Actually, yes. Everyone has noticed a significant difference in your behavior the last week. Are you okay?" Mrs. Jackson asked. I couldn't tell her that my mom kicked me out for being gay. I wasn't eighteen yet and I know it'll just cause more problems.

"I'm good." I chuckled humorlessly, still staring down at the name tag as I swallowed the ball that was trapped in my throat.

"Why did you hit Taylor across the face with a lunch tray?" She asked. I looked up at her and rolled my eyes.

"She's a conniving asshole because I'm dating Honey. She constantly torments us on a daily basis and dropped milk down Honey's shirt and face. I just snapped. I'll take my punishment and go now, respectfully." I responded strongly as I became angry all over again.

"You'll have a four day out-school suspension and when you get back we will need to talk. It's clear you're not okay, Ebony. It's only been a week and your grades dropped tremendously. You are a straight A student, Miss Jean. Clearly something is wrong." Mrs. Jackson breathed as she touched my hand.

I pulled my hand away and looked toward the door, not saying anything else. I was ashamed of myself. I was ashamed that I got to this point, but I didn't care enough to do anything about it.

I was just so tired. I'm tired of everything. I wanted nothing more than to sleep.

And if I could sleep forever, I'd take the opportunity in a heart beat. The only thing that's keeping me afloat is Honey. I know I've been hurting her, I see it all over her pretty face. I just couldn't help but be upset at myself.

I ruined my own life.

Mrs. Jackson handed me the suspension form as well as work that my teachers are willing to let me make up. I sighed and walked out of the guidance office to see Honey sitting outside of it with a school hoodie on. Her hair was wet and curly so she must've took a shower in the locker room.

"Hey, hey. You okay?" She asked as she grabbed my hand. I nodded, looking at her face that had a look of sheer concern on it.

"I'm fine, Honey. I'll wait until you're finished with your last period to leave school. I'll wait in the principal's office." I stated, my voice dull and hollow as it has been the last week and a half.

"Are you sure? I mean I can leave righ-"

"Go to class." I hissed as I glared up at her and squeezed her hand aggressively. Honey dropped my hand and nodded, her jaw clenching as she looked at me for a second, before walking away.

I sighed and groaned in frustration.

Watch me ruin this, too.