Broken Promises

Another part of The Boy will be out next, but for some reason I was really inspired to write this one shot, so I hope you enjoy! ALSO: IN THIS AU WILBUR NEVER DIED

Tommy lets out a cry of pain as he clings to the bathroom counter trying to hold himself up. The pain in his back was almost unbearable. He whips his head up and stares at himself in the mirror, at his teary eyes, his pained expression, he brings a hand to his back and when he takes it away he sees blood on his palm.

Not being able to hold himself up any longer, he collapses to the floor letting out another cry of pain. He hears banging on the door, but it doesn't register. He hears the shouts of his brothers and father, but at the same time he doesn't. He can't afford to think about the banging on the door or the shouts filled with panic and concern. He can't afford to think about that because the only thing he can think about is pain. 

There's a crash and the bathroom is suddenly filled with his family, he feels himself being scooped up into someone's arms and he looks up at his family who were staring at him with amazed, but concerned faces. He sees his eldest brother, Techno, with his leather-like wings behind him, he sees his other brother, Wilbur, his wings yellow and white and shaped like a butterfly's. He finally looks into the eyes of his father who has him curled tightly to his chest. He sees his father with tears in his eyes and his large white wings spread out behind him.

Tommy couldn't tell if the tears on his father's face were from the panic or of pride. His father looks down at him with awe etched onto his face. Tommy feels the familiar softness of feathers cushioning his back.... but that was impossible, because he could see his family's wings, so it couldn't be theirs. 

His father speaks quietly with a wave of pride, awe, happiness, joy, and everything in between in his voice, 

"Tommy.... you have wings."

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy hits the ground hard as he rolls onto his back with a grumble. "I'll never be able to get the hang of this!" He shouts in frustration. 

He sees Techno offer him a hand and graciously takes it as he hoists himself up off the ground. Wilbur looks at him while in deep thought. "Maybe try to tilt them more upwards?" He says.

"I already tried that, dickhead." Tommy shoots back obviously upset. 

"Tommy, don't yell at Wil, he's only trying to help." Phil says before Wilbur can argue back at Tommy. 

Techno looks at Phil and says, "He has to believe it, he has to believe that he's not going to fall."

Phil sighs knowing just how right Techno was. He walks over to his youngest son and kneels down looking at him dead in the eyes. "Listen, Tommy, you can do this. Look at your beautiful, black wings. They're strong and gorgeous and everything you could ever want. They won't let you fall if you trust them. Trust yourself. Trust that you'll fly, that you won't fall. Take that leap, and trust that even if you do fall, we will always be there to catch you. So fly, fly my little songbird."

And with that Tommy turned, ran, and leaped into the air.

And this time he did not come back down seconds later. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy smiled widely at the sun that was disappearing behind the trees, showering the land in a magical glow. He feels the wind in his hair, the sun warm on his face, the clouds just within his reach. His wings spread widely as he soars across the sky.