Make It Go Away

I'm pretty sure I put this in the description of this book, but just in case- TW: Drugs, Alcohol

Tommy's POV

My footsteps are loud as I walk through the multiple puddles on the sidewalk. The water splashes up onto the bottom of my pants and soaks my socks.

The rain drips down my face and soaks my clothes and hair and it's so, so cold.

I feel a chill run down my spine and it isn't from the weather. I feel tears stream from my eyes that mix with the rain. My heart hurts.

I know that sounds cheesy and dumb and simple, but there's no other way to describe it. It's that feeling where there's a hole, a large gaping hole that hurts so, so bad to the point where you feel like your chest is about to collapse in on itself.

The feeling that makes you clutch your shirt above your heart and try to relieve yourself of some of the pain to no avail, because every time you remember it's there, it grows.

"Tommy, I am ashamed to have to call you my brother! What's wrong with you?"

Wilbur hadn't meant it, in fact he'd been completely joking and somewhere deep down I think I knew that, but either way the statement set me over the edge.

I hadn't meant to knock over his pile of papers that contained all his stupid symphonies for all his stupid music. He had been such a bitch about it. Whatever, it doesn't matter I tell myself as more tears escape my eyes.

Everything had been so much lately, there was so much school work that I just couldn't seem to catch up on, I had forgotten to make dinner the other day and Phil had been upset with me, and Techno had stopped speaking to me all together after I called his potato farm stupid. I had been joking, didn't he realize that?

I had even apologized continuously telling him that it wasn't stupid and I was just joking, but he still slammed the door in my face and couldn't stand to be in the same room as me.

Wilbur was far too busy with his music to notice my recent spiral lately either and when I had tried to open up to him I had been a clutz and knocked over his stupid papers in which he yelled at me.

Whatever, I don't need them I think as I walk down the street freezing from the cold or the pain... I couldn't tell.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and glanced at it.

23 missed calls from Phil
25 missed calls from Wilbur
30 missed calls from Techno

Phil: Tommy, where did you go?
Phil: Tommy, pick up the phone!
Phil: Where are you?
Phil: ANSWER

Wilbur: Tommy, where have you gone?
Wilbur: Tommy, what did you need to talk about?
Wilbur: I'm sorry, Toms, I shouldn't have snapped at you
Wilbur: Tommy, this isn't funny, tell me where you are
Wilbur: TOMMY, PICK UP, WHERE ARE YOU?

Techno: Gremlin child, I'm currently ignoring you still, but pick up the phone now
Techno: Tommy, if you do not call me and tell me where you are right now, I swear I will throw you off the roof.
Techno: Okay, fine, I'm not ignoring you anymore, apology accepted, but pick up NOW
Techno: PICK UP YOUR PHONE

I scoffed before shoving my phone back in my pocket. I knew that they were worried but I still couldn't shake the hurt. They only cared when I was gone, not when I was there. They couldn't bother to notice me when I was right in front of them, but now?

I let out a sob and collapse inside a small alleyway. I just wanted it all to go away, just for a bit. I couldn't handle it, I just couldn't. I couldn't get through the waves pain and grief, I need it gone, I needed something.