chapter 6

Harry avoided Thalia for the next month or so and Thalia actually found herself missing Harry's terrible pick-up lines or awful flirting. She sat in the Great Hall with a frown as she watched him smiling, sitting at the Gryffindor table talking to Ginny Weasley. 

She felt like throwing up in her mouth and she didn't think that she liked Harry, she just hated seeing him with someone else that wasn't her. "Let's go to class early," the brunette suggested, putting her fork down since she's lost her appetite. 

"Okay," Theo slowly agreed, putting his fork down as well. The group of four finished up with their breakfasts quickly, for the sake of Thalia, and stood. They left the Great Hall at the same time, in a v-formation as they walked through the corridors, which strangely reminded Thalia of a flock of birds.

Draco walked with Thalia in the front while Theo and Blaise stood on both sides, fanning out slightly but trailing behind. "So, are you guys excited for the Yule Ball?" Thalia asked.

"No," Draco responded shortly. "We've got to take ballroom dancing lessons and we've got to dress up. How would that make anyone excited?"

Thalia's happiness deflated even more. She was excited for the Yule Ball. She wanted to dress up in a beautiful dress and she wanted to go with the boy of her dreams, even though she didn't even have a boy of her dreams, or maybe she just didn't realize he was there. 

"Right, well, ballroom dancing is only for a few more weeks and then once the dance is over," Thalia sighed, "everything will go back to normal."

The group nodded as they reached the Potions classroom to see the desks all pushed up to one side and the chairs were in neat rows, boys sitting on one side and girls sitting on the other.

Thalia's breathing became unsteady as Draco squeezed Thalia's hand and left her on her own. The brunette worriedly curled her hands into tight fists and uncurled them as she sat on the girls side. 

She never had any friends who were girls because none of them ever seemed to like her, not even her roommates. Which is why she was glad she found comfort with Draco and the rest of the boys.

But now she was sitting on the girls side of the room, completely helpless. The girls chatted and gossiped quietly while Thalia sat on the edge, nervously picking at her nails. Professor Snape noticed her discomfort and quickly went through the instructions as fast as he could.

"Now, get a partner and dance to the music," Snape instructed. Thalia sprung up from her seat and immediately found Draco, who seemed to be looking for her as well. His blue eyes met Thalia's familiar green ones and he smiled eagerly, pleased to have a partner he was comfortable with.

"May I?" Draco asked respectfully as his hand hovered by Thalia's waist, not touching her without permission.

"Yeah," Thalia giggled. "May I?" she mocked, hesitating over Draco's shoulder.

"Yeah," he chuckled. Draco's hand rested on her waist and Thalia's hand was placed on Draco's shoulder. Draco held out his free hand for Thalia to hold onto as they started to dance to the music.

Draco led them and the two dance in circles, laughing because they both took ballroom dancing classes together when they were younger and they still sucked at it. Draco let go of her waist for the second time and lifted their intertwined hands up, so Thalia twirled around before turning back to Draco.

"And switch," Snape commanded, a small smile finding its way onto his face as he watched Thalia laughing with Draco.

Draco released her and Thalia twirled into the next boy's arms, which happened to be Theo's. "Do you have a date to the dance?" Theo asked as their free hands intertwined and he spun her around.