chapter 42

"Listen, Lia," Draco sighed. "I know you're missing Scarhead."

"Oh, what gave you that impression?" Thalia moaned. "I swear I'm not." She had her knees brought up to her chest and her face buried in her hands. 

A few minutes ago, she spotted Harry on the platform at Kings Cross and she felt absolutely broken. Over the summer, she didn't think much of him because she didn't see him but when he was just standing there, on the station, she just felt her heart break all over again.

"So, I suppose," Draco dramatically sighed, "if you would still like to date him but keep it on the down low... I wouldn't tell anyone. As long as you end it before Christmas. 'Cus you know how half the Death Eaters do their crazy mind thing."

"Wait, like actually?" Thalia asked, perking up. Draco felt the need to comfort her when he saw the tears streaming down her cheeks but he was never one for comforting, so he just looked at the carpeted floor of their compartment.

"Yes," the blonde answered stiffly. "Go on then." 

He nodded towards the door and Thalia quickly wiped her tears with her sleeve. No one besides Draco would even guess that she'd been crying because she'd cleaned herself up so easily.

"Thanks, Dray," Thalia mumbled. 

"Yeah, whatever," Draco shrugged. 

Thalia slipped out of the compartment and walked towards the front of the train. She kept turning her head to check the other compartments and accidentally rammed into someone.

"Sorry-"

"Sorry- Harry." 

"Oh," Harry said. His eyes widened in alarm when he realized who he'd bumped into. "Hi. Hello."

"Hi."

"I've been meaning to talk to you about something," Harry said rather quickly. He dug his hands into the pockets of his jeans and pulled out a neatly folded paper. It looked so thin and fragile, like it's been crumpled and flattened a million times over.

Harry fumbled around with the parchment and opened it to reveal Thalia's handwriting.

Thalia winced. 

"Is this a joke or were you-"

"It was a joke," Thalia nodded, cutting him off. "Just a horrible, horrible joke. Surprised you didn't get it."

Harry's face flushed with relief and he awkwardly laughed. "Sorry, I couldn't really hear how you were saying it on the paper," he said.

"Don't apologize," Thalia huffed. "I didn't- um, well, I guess it's partially my fault for not writing again and explaining the terrible joke so-"

"No, it's not your fault," Harry said, shaking his head. "I was just overthinking it-"

"Well, I-"

"Mhm," Blaise cut in. He subtly looked at Thalia's engagement ring and then raised his eyebrows at her. Thalia pursed her lips together tightly.

Blaise inhaled sharply. "Potter," he greeted. "I don't suppose you know where Lovegood's compartment is."

"Few compartments down," Harry nodded, "that way."

"Thanks," he huffed. Blaise looked at Thalia again with the same raised eyebrows and she shook her head. He let out a sigh and walked off in the direction of Luna's compartment.

"Do you- um, do you want to come to my compartment?" Harry asked Thalia. "Ron and Hermione are already there."

"Oh, that's alright. I've got to get back to Draco," Thalia said. "Theo's Prefect this year so Draco's in the compartment by himself. I just needed to get that letter all cleared up."