· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 ⋄ · ﴾𝑺𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 𝑩𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒔﴿ ·

The outlaw lingers in the secret tunnel, where he patiently heeds the Princess's strict orders.

"Now remember, you will rest until that wound heals. Under no circumstances will you be thieving, dueling forest ruffians, or chasing any other form of trouble! You are to be in bed, resting! Do I make myself clear?" Esmeralda orders.

A witty smile crept upon the criminal's face.

"Crystal. Do not fret, Princess. In the face of inescapable peril, I always come out victorious." He hums pridefully.

The royal rests her hands on her hips. She arches a brow as her stare hones in on the outlaw. With each passing second she held the intense gaze, Robin Hood began to choke on the crisp air.

Esmeralda's sharp glare gradually narrows and pierces his arrogance.

The crook rubs the back of his neck, chuckling stiffly. "Ah... You have my word."

The Princess studies the mumrik's cowardice. Her stern scowl softens into a sweet smile.

"Good... Here..." She fumbles with a rose bracelet on her wrist.

Robin Hood eyes the elegant jewel.

"As an additional reward for your services... and as a token of my gratitude, I bestow you this valuable gem." She awards, dangling the bracket before the outlaw.

He gawks at the shimmering rarity of each pink pearl that laced the chain. His conflicted expression shifts from Esmeralda to the jewel.

He nods and turns it away.

"As rude as I may be to turn away such a generous gift, from her Royal Highness," The thief smiles softly at the princess. "I have enough."

The royal's eyes search his expression. She smiles and clips the pearls back on her wrist.

"Farewell, Princess. I truly can not thank you enough." Robin Hood bids a due.

Tipping his hat to the woman, he turns to the dark corridors behind him.

"Take care of yourself, Robin Hood..." The royal implored softly.

Nodding, the thief walks off.

Esmeralda watches the dusk consume his silhouette as he ventures further into the tunnel.

A sudden feeling was kindled by his growing absence. Her heartbeat surpassed every brisk step he took onward. The rhythm incited a great fear within her, sending her into a tame panic.

"Wait!" She shouts out.

The royal's hasty call ricochets past the echo of his terminated stride.

Robin Hood veers around. His dark eyes reflect a faint amber gleam as they take in the candlelight that poured into the tunnel.

He dons a curious look as he meets the girl's eye.

Esmeralda's words caught in her throat.

"A-are you well enough to navigate the tunnels on your own? You seem a bit drained..." She stammers.

Robin Hood arches a brow. "I'll manage. Trust me, I've endured far worse." He assures.