· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒 ⋄ · ﴾𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑭𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝑰𝒎𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏﴿

An uncomfortable, suffocating tension permeates the small space within the carriage. Every second the royal family dwelled in deafening silence was one second closer to madness.

Esmeralda peers out her window, her dull grimace staring back.

With no means of escape or distraction, she is left to watch the sun slowly trek the horizon.

Several hours of grueling travel and bland terrains pass her by, and yet, she wished the painfully stale journey could last an era as she knew they were drawing near the end.

Crossing the frontier of a foreign country, the rulers of Moomin Hollow finally reached the province that would hopefully accept their alliance, the kingdom of Willow Leigh.

Steering through the new land, the realm was nothing like the countless others the family had visited. Esmeralda takes in the vision of extravagant towns. Apart from the lavish homes, every building was a tower or temple, each a designs the princess had never seen before. Almost every village was full of color and gleaming with pristine.

The realm was the very model of perfection.

Another different detail was the population of the land. It seemed the further the monarchs drifted from Moomin Hollow, the fewer creatures they came across. The villages were teeming with mumriks and not many beasts in sight.

Needless to say, the princess was left in awe despite her disdain towards her circumstances. Her splendor dims as reality returns to her. 

"There doesn't seem to be a Moomin in sight... Makes you miss the ones you have at home, eh?" The King cautiously chuckles, trying to revive the lifeless mood.

His smile quickly falters in the absence of his daughters.

"Hmm..." She half-heartedly hums.

King Frederick springs his leg in an awkward rhythm. Glancing at his Queen, he finds her fanning her prim expression, which seemed on the verge of snapping under her fleeting patience.

Esmeralda goes back to soullessly staring at the lively community through her window, she was usually so fascinated with anything that lay beyond it, but now she was barely tempted to take a peek.

Her abnormal behavior struck a chord with her father, who was provoked by the bleak frown she donned; And while she couldn't find the will to admit it, Queen Madelyn was also worn by the sight.

Frederick begins to contemplate, deep in thought, his wife catches sight of him, the motion of her fanning drags as she recognizes the stoic look in his eyes.

She grew worried as she watched him silently battle with his morality. Moments of unbearable suspense pass until a blaze flickers in his gaze, his goodwill reigning supreme.

He met his beloved's concerned glare, she was vivid with apprehension.

"Esmeralda." Frederick's leveled voice gently pulls his daughter from her deep trance.

She looks at him, slightly taken aback by the sudden change in the atmosphere.

"There is a serious discussion we have yet to touch upon." He tells.

The Queen lays her hand on her husband's, she gives it a soft squeeze though it wasn't out of comfort. Her gaze narrows on him, her brows crinkle with sternness whilst her eyes hold a desperate glint in them as if silently pleading.

The couple engages in a communicative duel, their glares striving to outmatch the other. Eventually, the King sighs, the Queen's scowl emerging victorious.

"...I know we haven't been able to properly... converse with all the preparations keeping us working so diligently, but your feelings towards this arrangement are no mystery to us. Your mother and I know this isn't ideal for you... But it's with reason." He expresses, clenching his jaw from revealing further.