· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 ⋄ · ﴾𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑯𝒐𝒑𝒆﴿ ·

A small silhouette stood at the entrance of the tent.

The intense brightness quickly dims, revealing a little girl in the center of its radiance, only something was... off.

Though tiny in stature, the presumed child looked to be the same age as the outlaw and the princess, if not a few years older.

A scar ran across her arched brow. She was dressed in a crimson jacquard-caped dress. She dons a raven bowtie and gloves. Her boots were stained in soot. A satchel was wrapped around her waist. Her scarlet locks were tied up, revealing the bewilderment in her emerald eyes as she gawked at the scene before her.

"Wha─ Who are you!? And... What are you two doing?" She interrogates, eyeing Esmeralda with harsh suspicion then the outlaw in utter confusion.

The mumrik looks at the royal, their faces mere inches from coming together. It takes a moment for him to realize the awkward position they were in.

Releasing the sides of the maiden's hood he shuffles far away from her.

The uncomfortable standstill lasted for what felt like an eternity. The only thing being exchanged was the communicative glances between the crook and the unknown girl.

"...I can explain─" The crook was silenced by the mysterious intruder.

"Please don't. I am disgusted more than I am curious." And with that, she flees as abruptly as she came.

The pair shared an uncomfortable glance as they sat in the lingering tension they were left to rot in.

"...Should we be worried about her?" Esmeralda mutters, unsure if she would be answered.

"...No. As long as we don't capture any more unwanted attention, we should be alright." Answered the thief, bitterness still prominent in his tone.

He peeks out. Seeing no other creature in sight he begrudgingly grabs hold of the princess's wrist. His hand slips into hers as he pulls her along, both were too on edge to notice.

"Snufkin!"

Just a yard away from the forest, a voice erupts from above, startling them in their tracks.

Both peer up to see yet another moomin. He appeared to be much younger than Moominmamma, but just around Snorkmaiden's age.

He leaned out of the second window in pure excitement. His bright blue eyes twinkled at the sight of the vagabond.

"There you are! I was wondering when you'd return!" He spoke heartily.

The troll blinks curiously as he notices the cloaked mistress his friend held beside him.

"Oh? Uh, Hello there!... Snufkin, who is that with you?" He questions, trying to make out the young woman's face as she sinks into the gloom of her hood.

The thief tugs her closer, signaling their departure.

"I can't talk right now Moomintroll. I must go before─"

The creaking of opening doors silenced the criminal. A familiar troll steps onto the porch. Recognizing the vagabond from a distance, she beams with delight.